Samford Honor Band 2013 Chair Placement Results:
SAMFORD UNIVERSITY SEVENTH ANNUAL HONOR BAND
January 3-5, 2013
The Audition Process consists of the following:
- One short sight reading exercise
- Selected scales (determined by the instrumental judge)--more than likely the scales will be within the first three sharp and flat scales
- One short prepared exercise. The prepared piece will be the first Alabama All-State exercise for this year.
**Samford Honor Band Concert Attire is your band uniform. If you do not have a band uniform, or are unable to bring your uniform for any reason, Sunday dress attire will be acceptable. Students are welcome to wear any medals from previous honor bands, etc. We apologize that this was not included in any previous information.**
FORMS, DIRECTIONS TO SAMFORD, AND A LIST OF AREA HOTELS ARE AVAILABLE BELOW.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Jim Smisek at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Information for Participants
Make your travel plans now. Out of town students can find reasonably priced housing at any of the motels listed at this link. Housing arrangements and chaperoning are your responsibility. In many cases, band directors will be attending and will provide transportation and chaperoning, but still be sure to confirm your specific travel arrangements.
Send in the Confirmation Form and a $65 check as soon as possible. This amount will include three meals, masterclass, and an honor band T-shirt. (Please note that Samford Honor Band does not provide medals.) Make checks or money orders payable to Samford University Bands. We ask that you postmark your confirmation form no later than December 5, 2011.
Please download the tentative schedule here. (Updated October 5, 2012)
ALL HONOR BAND PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING A WIRE MUSIC STAND. Please label your stand before Honor Band weekend. Please plan to bring all necessary musical equipment including extra reeds, mutes for brass instruments, all sticks and mallets for percussionists, etc.
CONCERT ATTIRE is your band uniform. If for any reason you can not bring your band uniform to Honor Band, dress clothes will be acceptable. Students are welcome to wear any medals they have acquired throughout their musical career.
Band Director Letter
October 5, 2012
I am very pleased to inform you about the Sixth Annual Samford University Honor Band on January 3-5, 2013. This year we will have two Middle School Honor Bands and two High School Honor Bands! Here are some details about what we are working to accomplish:
• Each band will consist of approximately 90-100 students whom you recommend as the top musicians within your programs.
• The event will take place in our beautiful Brock Hall facilities that include our new rehearsal hall and recital hall and our 2800-seat Wright Center Auditorium.
• The cost for each honor band participant is $65. This will include three meals, a masterclass, and an honor band t-shirt.
• Included with this letter is the application, schedule, director ranking form, and honor band poster.
1. Directors, please collect completed applications from your students and place them in rank order. Also fill out the ranking form by ranking the most outstanding musicians first. Please mail all applications together.
2. Applications must be postmarked by November 19, 2012.
3. A list of accepted applicants will be placed on the honor band website in early December. We will also email directors the acceptance results.
4. If your students have been accepted and will be attending please have them fill out the confirmation form (found on website) and send in payment postmarked no later than Monday, December 3.
5. Chair placement auditions will begin Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. and the first rehearsal will be Friday morning. The audition will consist of selected scales, a short sight-reading exercise and the prepared piece. (The prepared piece is the first Alabama All-State exercise for your instrument.)
6. More information including all forms are available at: http://arts.samford.edu/music/subpage.aspx?id=2147493369
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to working with you and your students in the near future.
Dr. James J. Smisek
Director of Bands
If you have any questions regarding the Samford University Honor Band, please contact Dr. Jim Smisek at email@example.com