Mission & History
The Brock School of Business is a recognized leader and school of choice among institutions offering undergraduate and graduate business education informed by Christian principles. The Brock School of Business delivers life-long business education to its constituents through quality teaching, meaningful scholarship,and servant relationships, imbued by our Christian commitment. In fulfilling this mission, we will…
• Challenge our students with a quality, global, and relevant curriculum supported by innovative pedagogies
• Engage in meaningful scholarship, including theoretical,applied, and pedagogical inquires
• Offer our considerable human and knowledge resources to both internal and external constituents
• Act within a Christian culture, committed to cultivating a diversity of ideas, experiences, and perspectives while promoting social and corporate responsibility among our stakeholders.
Samford University has offered undergraduate business degrees since 1922. In 1965, the School of Business was established to offer both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business. Alabama’s first part-time MBA program was established at Samford shortly thereafter, and the first MBA degrees were awarded in 1967. The Master of Accountancy degree was approved in 1995. The School of Business became fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) in 1999 and was renamed the Brock School of Business in 2007 to honor longtime Samford trustee and Alabama banking legend, Harry B. Brock, Jr.
• We affirm Samford University’s purpose and mission as our own in the development of business leaders.
• We believe that our Christian perspectives and commitments should permeate and integrate all of our organizational goals and activities.
• We consider learning to be an activity that never ceases, and that the life of the mind is a faithful and noble pursuit.
• We believe that service within organizations is a vocation in the sense that it is a calling that should be treated with great importance and utmost respect.
• We believe in the pursuit of excellence in all dimensions and activities.
• We value the creation of timely, relevant, participatory, and experiential learning environments that develop well-trained persons who add value and achieve fulfilling roles within their organizations, communities, and the global environment.
• We value research and scholarship that develops core competencies, serves society, and equips people and organizations to cope with change and meet challenges.
• We are blessed with and compelled by our tremendous resources to serve our community.
• We respect and value unique and diverse experiences and perspectives contributed by individuals learning and working in a collegial environment.
• We demand ethical behavior, integrity, caring concern, and stewardship from ourselves, our constituents, and the organizations we serve.
For more information about the Brock School of Business, please go to the About Us link at the top of the page.