Samford University

504 ADA Grievance Process for Students


Grievance Procedure  

Questions & concerns over accommodations should initially be directed in writing to Disability Resources.  If the DR counselor cannot provide information or suggestions that resolve disability rights issues, a meeting with the student, the faculty member (if applicable), DR counselor, and the Associate Provost for Administration is the second step in resolving disagreements.  If agreements cannot be rendered, the final step in the Grievance Procedure is to file a formal appeal to the Samford University Provost’s office.  Should you disagree with the outcome of this step, you may file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights. 

  During the grievance process, the student is entitled to receive accommodations recommended by DR.

It is important that concerns are addressed promptly so that the student's participation in the course or activity is not affected.  The appeal should clearly state the basis and rationale for the objection and should be transmitted as a confidential document to the Samford University Provost.  

Samford University Office of the Provost
800 Lakeshore Dr
Birmingham, AL  35229 

The University Provost will consider the appeal and render a final decision, which will be communicated to all parties.

Steps in the Grievance Process

  1. Consult with appropriate DR staff member(s).
  2. If the situation cannot be resolved in step one, you are encouraged to meet with DR staff member(s), the course instructor (if applicable), and the Associate Provost for Administration to discuss your concerns.
  3. If a result is not achieved in step two, it is recommended you submit a formal, written appeal to the University Provost's office.

Should you disagree with the outcome of the Grievance Process, you may file a formal complaint with the Office for Civil Rights:

Regional Office for Civil Rights
Office for Civil Rights, Region IV
U.S. Department of Education
Atlanta, Georgia 30301-3104