The mission of the Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition Science is to nurture and prepare students to positively contribute to the health and well-being of members of society and to instill in all students, faculty, and staff, a commitment to lifetime fitness and positive health. An exemplary education provided in a Christian context, by individuals with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in scholarship, service and teaching provide the mechanism to fulfill this mission.
The Vision of the Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition Science is to challenge students continually to improve the health and well-being of society by exhibiting the highest standards of quality in teaching, scholarship and service; and to assume the leadership role among undergraduate academic programs in our field in meeting the challenges of preventive medicine and health care.
Five fundamental values form the foundation of the Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition Science culture.
- Collaboration - The phrase “to act as a unit” forms the basis of the KINS Department. This value ensures that all students will benefit from the collective wisdom of a team of education professionals.
- Quality - A commitment to quality has created the KINS Department’s legacy of achievement and innovation in curricular and programmatic areas resulting in high achievement for students and faculty. The KINS Department has taken a leadership role in cultivating intellectual curiosity of students and establishing standards of excellence.
- Integrity - Adherence to scientific, professional, and personal integrity are the ethical cornerstones that underlie our desire to do the following: mentor students; conduct clinical research investigations; educate students and allied health professionals; guide the fiscal and administrative management of the KINS Department.
- Compassion - A commitment to compassion includes a respect for our students’ and their families’ needs for emotional support during their time at Samford. The KINS Department believes in providing the highest level of service to its students and families.
- Commitment - As an institution, the KINS Department recognizes its responsibilities to the community in which it resides, to the students it services, to Samford University and to the individuals in leadership who oversee the management of its resources.