Rankings & Highlights
At Samford University, we hold our programs to high standards. We collect and analyze data on our programs to continuously improve how we prepare our students. Our graduates are ready to enter the workforce and be leaders in the community. We expect a great deal from our candidates and they continue to rise to the challenge. They enter with high GPAs and test scores and consistently demonstrate high scores on national tests upon completion of our programs.
Curriculum and Instruction +
- The undergraduate teacher education program in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as being one of the top four effective teacher preparation programs in the nation.
- Employment rates for all degree graduates are near 100%.
- Samford’s accredited teacher education program is the only one in the state of Alabama that offers a program with four different certifications. Graduates are certified in Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education/Elementary Education/Elementary Collaborative Education. These four certifications allow candidates to teach children from the age of 3 years through 6th grade in both regular and special education.
- Students complete 1,000 clinical hours in classrooms prior to student teaching in immersion partnership with local schools, contributing to the preparedness and professionalism of our students.
- In 2014, one of our Curriculum and Instruction graduates was named National Student Teacher of the Year by Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education and the Association of Teacher Education.
Human Development and Family Life Education +
- Our Human Development and Family Life Education department offers degrees preparing students to become advocates. Students and graduates of this program are passionate about advocating for children, families and people at all stages of life.
- Students have opportunities to intern within community organizations providing students with hands-on opportunities. In addition to this real-life experience, they also gain knowledge through original research projects.
- Many graduates use programs in this department to launch them into careers in adoption services, counseling, community-based social services, family law, public policy, occupational and speech therapy and social work.
- For the last three years, our Human Development and Family Life Education students have received the Outstanding Undergraduate Paper Award from the National Council on Family Relations for their original research projects.
Educational Leadership +
- All of our graduate programs incorporate theoretical concepts with practical, hands-on experience.
- We understand working adults are busy, that is why we’ve worked diligently to provide online master’s options and hybrid programs. This provides graduate students the flexibility they want and need.