• Image 21474866898 /uploadedImages/_Headers/hodges-header-image.jpg Hodges Exterior Header Hodges Exterior Header
  • ContentBlock 21474871833


    Samford University seeks to ensure our employees are fairly compensated. Learn about our early closing policies and procedures, international transactions and tax-related information as well as our payroll schedule.

    Early Closing+

    Who can leave if the university closes early?

    There are some areas whose responsibilities will not allow all staff to leave. Supervisors must determine and communicate what level of coverage, if any, is needed to ensure those responsibilities are met.

    How do I record my time in TimeClock Plus?

    Record your actual time worked by clocking in and out as usual. For hours missed due to early closure, perform a Timesheet Entry using the Job Code 90900-University Closed. Please read the following FAQs to determine the amount of time allowable for your situation. Instructions for performing a Timesheet Entry in TCP can be found on the Payroll website under TimeClock Plus Tutorials.

    How much time will I be paid for if the university closes early?

    You will be paid for your normally scheduled work time on that day. If you are scheduled for 7.5 hours, that will be your pay. If you are scheduled for 10 hours, that will be your pay.

    What if I'm working a Flex schedule when the closure takes place?

    You will be paid for the hours you were scheduled to work on that day. However, these schedules should be adjusted in anticipation of closings if announced ahead of time.

    What if my regular schedule is not 8:00 to 4:30 like most of the university?

    If you are scheduled to work 7:30 to 4:00, you will receive 7.5 hours of pay. If you are scheduled to work 6:00 to 5:00, you will receive 10 hours of pay. If you are scheduled to work 9:00 to 5:30, you will receive 7.5 hours of pay.

    What if I started work earlier than normal on the day of the closing? Will I get paid more?

    If your normal schedule is 8:00 to 4:30, but you started working at 7:30 and the university closed at 2:00, you will be paid for 7.5 hours since that is your regular schedule.

    What if I actually worked from 7:30 until 4:30 even though the university officially closed?

    If you worked the entire time, then you will be paid for all of the hours that you worked.

    What if I am scheduled for vacation or take a sick day on that day?

    An early closure simply allows those who are working on that day to depart early. It will not change the amount of leave charged to those who are absent. If an official closure is announced ahead of time with a designation of “additional holiday time”, an employee may adjust the leave to correspond with the planned closure.

    If the university closes at noon, can I take my lunch hour at 11:00 and leave an hour earler?

    No. A noon closure allows plenty of time to eat after departing the university.

    If the university closes at 2:00 pm, can I take my lunch at 1:00 and not come back?

    No. Regular lunch breaks should be taken and completed by 1:00.

    What if there is a reason I cannot leave at the time of the closing?

    We understand that there are areas on campus whose function is time critical and employees cannot always leave. We thank you for your dedication and service.

    What if I cannot leave on that day? Do I get time off another day?

    As stated above, this simply allows an early departure to those who are able. It does not constitute additional holiday or vacation time to be taken during normal work times.

    What if I am a part time employee scheduled to work that day?

    You will be paid for the hours that you were scheduled to work on an unplanned early closure. Part time employees are not paid for scheduled holidays. Management may adjust part time employee schedules to accommodate planned closings.


    Who must file an Alabama individual income tax return?

    Follow the link to the ADOR website.

    Who must file a Federal income tax return?

    Follow this link to the IRS web site to determine if you must file a Federal income tax return.

    How do I increase or decrease the amount that is currently being withheld for federal and/or state tax withholding?

    To change your Federal Withholding complete a Form W4 (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate) indicating filing status and the number of allowances you wish to claim. To change your state withholding, complete the Form A4 (State of Alabama Withholding Certificate). You can obtain these forms from the Payroll Offices or from the Human Resource website at forms. Submit the completed forms to the Payroll Office in Room 305 of Samford Hall by the 10th of the month for Monthly employees and by the time sheet due date for bi-weekly employees. Tax Information for Employees from IRS.gov

    Can I have my net pay split between multiple bank accounts?

    You can have your net pay split between more than one checking or savings account. You simply complete a Authorization Agreement for Direct Deposit form and attach a voided check for each bank account. Submit the form to the Payroll Office. You can obtain the Authorization Agreement for Direct Deposit form from the Payroll Office or from the Human Resources website forms page.

    I'm leaving town before the next payday. Will I be able to get paid early?

    It is the University's policy not to release payroll earlier than the established pay date. Since all employees are on Direct Deposit, your pay will be in your designated accounts on the scheduled pay date.

    I have recently moved. How do I submit the change for my new address?

    An address may be changed by emailing the Human Resources Assistant from your Samford e-mail address with the old and new address information. Note: Be sure to update your address with your current benefit plan carriers. For example Fidelity, Valic, TIAA-CREF, Guidestone, Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Note: Changing one of your addresses in Human Resources does not automatically change all addresses. If you are a Samford student or Alumni, please change your address with these departments as well.

    I have not received my Form W2 in the mail. How do I get a copy?

    Follow the instructions to print a copy of your W-2 through the Samford portal . Or complete a W2 Request form and submit it to the Payroll Office in Samford Hall, Room 305 or you can fax it to that office at (205) 726-2096. If the original W2 was returned to the University it will be re-mailed to the address that you indicate on your signed "W2 Request Form". If the original was not returned in the mail a duplicate copy will be mailed to the address indicated on your signed request form. These replacement W2s can also be faxed or picked up in the Payroll Office according to the options selected on the request form. Please allow 10 days for processing of replacement W2s.

    I'm a new employee, when will I receive my first paycheck?

    a) For bi-weekly payroll employees the pay dates are on Friday following the close of the payroll period. You can access the bi-weekly payroll schedule that reflects the pay periods and their associated pay dates via the HR Website.

    b) For monthly payroll employees the pay dates are on the last business day of the calendar month. You can access the monthly payroll schedule that reflects the pay periods via the HR Website.

    I have closed the bank account where my payroll direct deposit was being made. How do I ensure that I receive my next pay on time?

    You should notify the Payroll Office immediately by submitting a Direct Deposit Authorization form. This form must be submitted to the Payroll Office the Friday prior to the pay date for bi-weekly paid employees or by the 10th of the month for monthly paid employees. These dates may be earlier during months with scheduled holidays. A campus wide e-mail will be sent if due dates are changed. If your request is not received by Payroll Services in time to process the change for the next pay date, your bank will send a notification to payroll within 3 to 5 business days if the funds submitted to the closed account have been returned to the University. Once payroll receives notification from the bank, these funds will be available to be sent to your new account. Note: It is recommended that you change your direct deposit information to reflect your new account prior to closing your old account.

    I've started work but I haven't gotten a time sheet yet, what should I do?

    The first thing an employee should do in this situation is to check with his/her supervisor who should confirm the Employment Form has been completed and has begun the proper approval route to the Payroll office. We are unable to issue time sheets to employees for whom we have not received an Employment Form. The employee should contact Human Resources to ensure that all required forms have been completed (ie. Direct Deposit Enrollment, Security Agreement, etc). For employees for whom an Employment Form did not reach Payroll in time for time sheet production, a handwritten time sheet can be issued upon the request of the supervisor if all other required forms have been completed by the new employee.

    Why have I not gotten paid?

    If the employee is biweekly and has not turned in a time sheet, they will not be paid until his/her time sheet has been received. Employees should check with their departments first and make sure their time sheets have been turned in to Payroll by the deadline. If the employee is a monthly employee, his/her Letter of Agreement or Supplemental Pay Request form may have either been turned in to the payroll office late or filled-out incorrectly. Employees should check with their department to see if their paperwork has been turned in on time or processed correctly. Once the issue has been resolved, and the paperwork received, the employee will be paid on the next payroll.

    My check is direct deposited into my checking account but I'm not getting an earning statement, how do I know the amount of my check?

    All earnings statements are sent via email to your Samford University email account. Due to the security in place it is not possible to have this sent to a different email address. These can also be accessed via the Samford Portal. Click on the Banner tab. Choose Employee, Pay Information, then Pay Stub.

    How does my leave accrue?

    Leave accrues based on the length of employment with Samford University and job classification. Please refer to either the Samford University Staff Handbook or Faculty Handbook for specifics.

    What do the deduction codes on my paycheck represent?

    View a listing of all payroll deduction codes.

    International Transactions+

    New Banking Industry Rules

    There has recently been a change in the banking industry rules (NACHA Operating Rules) which Samford University must adhere to when remitting employees their payments via Direct Deposit. The new rules require the university, as originator of electronic payments made through the ACH network, to identify payments made to payees where the entire payment amount is subject to subsequently be transferred to a foreign bank account. The rules are referred to as "International ACH Transaction (IAT) rules" and are pursuant to requirements of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). The IAT rules became effective September 18, 2009.

    Purpose of IAT Rules

    Under US Law, banks are required to screen all ACH payments to ascertain if the funds associated with a payment are being remitted to (or being received from) any party subject to OFAC sanctions. OFAC administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions based on US foreign policy and national security goals against targeted foreign countries and regimes, terrorists, international narcotics traffickers, those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and other threats to the national security, foreign policy or economy of the United States. OFAC acts under Presidential national emergency powers, as well as authority granted by specific legislation, to impose controls on transactions and freeze certain asset under US jurisdiction. The IAT rules are intended to assist the banking industry in performing this screening process.

    Our Responsibility to Comply with the IAT Rules

    In order for the university to comply with the IAT rules and the applicable US Law, employees are being notified of the new rules. Additionally, in cases where current employees meet certain criteria to consider them as a potential IAT payee, an inquiry may be made of the employee, requesting additional information regarding the designation of payments made to them electronically. For employees that are identified as an IAT payee, we are required to submit all future electronic payments to the employee's bank either in a special format.

    Employee's Responsibility to Comply with the IAT Rules

    In order to warrant that payments the university originates through the ACH network comply with all US Laws, we must rely upon the employee to advise if the full amount of the payment the employee receives electronically is being forwarded to a bank in another country. In order for the IAT rule to apply, the entire amount of the payment must be forwarded.

    Responsibility of Employees Currently Enrolled in Direct Deposit

    Should you receive your payroll via direct deposit at a U.S. financial institution and then have the entire payroll amount forwarded to a bank in another country, you should advise your payroll department. Your payroll department may provide a general notice regarding the IAT rules, or it may make a specific inquiry of you. If you do not advise your payroll department that you meet the definition of an IAT payee, you will be presumed to be a non-IAT payee. Should your IAT status change at any time in the future, you should notify your payroll department.

    Responsibility of Employees Not Yet Enrolled in Direct Deposit

    Going forward, upon enrolling in a direct deposit program, the Enrollment Form will have a place for you to affirm whether the entire payment amount, is or is not, subject to being forwarded to a bank in another country. Should your IAT status change at any time in the future, you should notify the Payroll Department.

    Know Your Customer Principle

    The NACHA Rules specifically require all parties to adhere to all US Laws, and transactions conducted through the ACH network carry such warranties with them. The NACHA Guidelines indicate that all parties have an obligation to "know their customer." In many cases, the department is in the best position to know that the payment to an employee could potentially be part of a transaction where the funds could be remitted upstream to a party that is sanctioned by the OFAC. NACHA acknowledges, partly because of bank privacy regulations, that it is not always possible for the university, functioning as an originating company, to know whether funds remitted to a payee's designated financial institution are subject to being subsequently forwarded to a foreign bank. Information known by the department alone is not necessarily a sufficient reason to designate payments to the employee as an IAT, but it can be enough to prompt the department to make a due diligence inquiry of the employee. Any inquiry made of an employee by a department is done to fulfill its due diligence obligation to adhere in spirit with the US law and the IAT rules.

    Impact on Employee Designated as an IAT-Payee

    Being designated as an IAT payee, by virtue of your payment being forwarded to a foreign bank should have a minimum affect on the payment being credited to your designated bank account. There should only be a problem if your name is one that is contained on OFAC's sanction list. However, availability of funds credited to the account will be subject to your receiving financial institution's policies and procedures.

    Payroll Schedules+

    2015 Payroll Schedule

    Samford University has several payroll schedules for employees. Select the appropriate link to find out more information.

  • ContentBlock 21474875442


    Samford University salaries have a minimum and maximum range. Select the appropriate salary grade to learn more about the compensation for various positions.

    Grade 5

    Minimum Maximum
    Annual (40 hours) $13,056.87 $18,279.38
    Annual (37.5 hours) $12,240.81 $17,136.92
    Hourly $6.28 $8.79

    Grade 6

    Annual (40 hours) $15,015.75 $ 21,333.14
    Annual (37.5 hours) $14,077.26 $19,999.82
    Hourly $7.22 $10.26

    Grade 7

    Annual (40 hours) $17,295.28 $24,937.24
    Annual (37.5 hours) $16,214.32 $23,378.66
    Hourly $8.32 $11.99

    Grade 8

    Annual (40 hours) $19,956.09 $29,186.15
    Annual (37.5 hours) $18,708.83 $27,362.01
    Hourly $9.59 $14.03

    Grade 9

    Annual (40 hours) $23,064.41 $34,209.27
    Annual (37.5 hours) $21,622.89 $32,071.19
    Monthly $1,922.03 $2,850.77
    Hourly $11.09 $16.45

    Grade 10

    Annual (40 hours) $26,696.74 $40,158.21
    Annual (37.5 hours) $25,028.19 $37,648.32
    Monthly $2,224.73 $3,346.52
    Hourly $12.83 $19.31

    Grade 11

    Annual (40 hours) $30,953.80 $47,204.34
    Annual (37.5 hours) $29,019.19 $44,254.07
    Monthly $2,579.48 $3,933.70
    Hourly $14.88 $22.69

    Grade 12

    Annual (40 hours) $35,947.78 $55,568.06
    Annual (37.5 hours) $33,701.04 $52,095.06
    Monthly $2,995.65 $4,630.67
    Hourly $17.28 $26.72

    Grade 13

    Annual (40 hours) $41,813.93 $65,509.38
    Monthly $3,484.49 $5,459.11

    Grade 14

    Annual (40 hours) $48,717.81 $77,339.61
    Monthly $4,059.82 $6,444.97

    Grade 15

    Annual (40 hours) $56,852.99 $91,435.39
    Monthly $4,737.75 $7,619.62

    Grade 16

    Annual (40 hours) $66,450.34 $108,260.77
    Monthly $5,537.53 $9,021.73

    Grade 17

    Annual (40 hours) $77,795.52 $128,362.61
    Monthly $6,482.96 $10,696.88
  • ContentBlock 21474875570

    Supplemental Pay+

    Part time faculty should use faculty options.

    Faculty: Activity Related to Teaching a Credit Course

    Account Code for Full Time Faculty: 611200
    Account Code for Part Time Faculty: 611000

    Faculty: All Other Activity

    Account Code: 611210


    • Full time faculty member teaching an overload course - Letter of Agreement using account code 611200
    • Full time staff member teaching in Evening College. Work is tied to a course and the employee is categorized as part time faculty as well as full time staff - Letter of Agreement using account code 611000
    • Full time faculty member providing a one-time lecture in Governor's School. Work is not tied to a course, but it is performed by a faculty member - Supplemental Pay Request Form for Monthly Paid Employees using account code 611210

    View Diagram

    Staff: Paid Monthly

    Account Code for Tasks Unrelated to Job Description: 611300
    Account Code for Tasks Related to Job Description: 611100

    Staff: Paid Hourly

    Account Code: 611300


    • Full time exempt staff member in Athletics who acts as advisor - Supplemental Pay Request Form for Monthly Paid Employees using account code 611300
    • Tutor or Academy of the Arts instructor who holds no other job at Samford - Supplemental Pay Request Form for Monthly Paid Employees using account code 611100
    • Full time non-exempt staff member who provides support for Governor's School - Supplemental Pay Request Form for Hourly Paid Staff using account code 611300. Exact hours must be recorded

    View Diagram