- Important Websites
NursingCAS (to begin an application)
mycollegei (to submit video if applicable)
nursing.samford.edu (to locate program requirements and other necessary information)
- Application Instructions and Requirements
Applicants to all graduate programs must complete the following process:
- Complete and submit all required sections of the NursingCAS application, found at www.NursingCAS.org. An instructional video and detailed information can be found at this website.
- Submit all official transcripts to NursingCAS.
- Submit mycollegei video interview (if applicable).
- Application Components
- Colleges Attended
For this section, only college/university-level information is required. Please include ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions (even if you only took one course there). High school information is not required for application to Samford’s graduate nursing programs.
You will enter your transcript information by individual courses across your educational history. The information you enter will be verified and approved by NursingCAS.
Official transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions in which you received credit must be sent (unopened, official copies) directly to NursingCAS. Please allow several weeks for sending, processing and posting of your transcripts to your application.
The mailing address is as follows:
P. O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST
- International Transcripts
All transcripts from institutions outside the U.S. must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES, www.wes.org). This official course-by-course evaluation must be submitted to NursingCAS as part of the application. We do not accept evaluations from any other companies.
MAT and GRE scores are submitted through NursingCAS. The Samford code is 1302 and the department code is 0610. The official score from ETS will be mailed to Samford.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required for all applicants for whom English is a non-native language. Have official scores on the TOEFL sent directly from the Educational Testing Service directly to the Office of Admission. A minimum score of 550 (paper), 213 (computer), or 80 (internet) is expected.
Submit evidence of current unencumbered license as a registered nurse through NursingCAS on the Professional Experience/Certifications section. Include state of issuance, number and expiration date.
Please enter previous professional nursing experience and other relevant information. For example:
- Include all nursing and healthcare related professional experiences under Patient/Health Related Experiences
- Include experience shadowing an APRN under Patient/Health Related Experiences
- Include relevant awards and honors under Honors and Awards.
The application requires three letters of recommendation:
- One from an academic professor, advisor or instructor (able to speak to your academic presence and performance)
- One from your direct clinical supervisor or nurse manager (able to speak to your clinical presence, skills, abilities, etc.)
- One from a professional colleague
If you have questions about specific references, please contact Dr. Marian Carter in the office of Graduate Student Services at 205-726-2047.
Enter the contact information for all recommenders. The “electronic” option is strongly preferred by the review committee. Once the contact information is submitted, an email is sent to the recommender with instructions for them to login to a recommender portal and submit their information.
If the recommender has difficulty filling out the online form, please direct them to the tabs at the top of the recommender portal. There is an Instructions tab and a Contacts tab which will provide helpful information.
Status of the recommendations can be found on the applicant’s NursingCAS homepage.
Statement of Purpose
This is an open-ended statement of purpose to be used to expound upon why you are pursuing the specific APRN role or nursing specialty. You may want to consider the following:
- How will your graduate degree help you meet your career goals?
- Why did you choose this APRN role or specialty?
- Why Samford’s program?
- Why is this program and this role a good fit?
- Has there been one patient or experience that brought you to pursue this role?
It is recommended that you write the personal statement in a word processing document in order to monitor the number of characters. Please note the 2970 character limit (characters include spaces, numbers, letters, etc.). This is equivalent to approximately 495 words.
- Samford Supplemental Information Form
Please visit the following website to complete the form and submit additional required basic information not collected on your NursingCAS application.
Submission of this form is required for all programs.
- mycollegei Video Interview
A mycollegei video interview submission is required for all programs except Nurse Anesthesia. All Nurse Anesthesia applicants will be expected to be present for an on-campus interview and should not submit a video. For all others, you may post this interview online at any time prior to the application deadline. Please go to www.mycollegei.com and follow the instructions. Once you create an account and search for Samford University, you will find prompts to frame your response.