Accelerated Second Degree B.S.N. Overview
The 15-month Accelerated Second Degree BSN option is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree in a field of study other than nursing. Students enrolled in this program have intense classroom and clinical learning experiences. They must attend the ten week summer session. Due to the fast pace of this program, it is difficult for students to work, although some of our students in this option are married with families. The selection process involves a personal interview with faculty. Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to use knowledge, critical thinking skills, and practice skills learned from nursing and liberal arts to provide professional nursing care in a variety of clinical settings. The Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing was the first program in the state of Alabama accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN) and has remained fully accredited throughout its existence.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs provide students with:
- Low student-to-teacher ratio in the classroom and in clinical settings.
- Academically and experientially prepared, nurturing faculty who are available to help students
- Excellent clinical opportunities in all major health-care agencies in the Birmingham metro area
- State of the art human patient simulation center and skills lab
- Pass rates above 95% on the NCLEX-RN exam
- Opportunities for medical mission trips and study abroad