September 17, 2012
The staff members in our Office of Institutional Effectiveness, headed by Karen Hamby, are responsible for assembling, slicing,and dicing the ever-growing data required for strategic planning, assessment, accreditation updates, and governmental compliance. They have a “passion of anonymity” as they approach their work, and we rely heavily on their assistance. Last week, Ken England, Director of Operations for the Cumberland School of Law, wrote to me of his appreciation for these staffers:
“On Monday I requested data for a meeting on Thursday. The staff members jumped on the project and provided the needed information early! They never complained about their work load (which I know is heavy); they only asked what was needed and went to work locating the information for me. I am so thankful that we have such a dedicated office that is willing to go the extra mile for other Samford employees.”
The world is better because of the dedicated service of the members of the Samford staff.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.