November 5, 2012
It turns out that the practice of law is only one of the talents of Luisa Reyes, a 2008 graduate of Samford’s Cumberland School of Law. She is now an attorney in private practice living in Hartville, Ohio. A few weeks ago she won the “Golden Voices of America” competition in the classical and folk adult division and yesterday she made her debut with a performance at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall. The Golden Voices of America, conducted under the auspices of the American Fine Arts Festival, is an international vocal competition that takes place in New York City, intended for vocalists who would like to challenge themselves by competing on a highly selective level.
The world is better because of the wide-ranging interests of Samford graduates.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.