July 15, 2013
This past fall of 2012, Bishop Dr. Laurent Mbanda, leader of the Rwanda Shyira Diocese, visited Samford and met with faculty and business honors students in the Brock Scholars Program. As a result of this visit, our May graduate Cameron Collins is serving today alongside the Bishop as the Shyira Diocese’s Chief Development Officer. Cameron is putting his social entrepreneurship and economics studies into practice, as he works to advance the myriad of programs that serve 323 local congregations through 42 parishes and a community of close to 100,000 people in Rwanda. Cameron’s responsibilities include grant writing, coordinating communication with the West, and overseeing the reporting and evaluation of the diocese's economic empowerment, health, education and other programs. “Through my position in Rwanda I have been able to utilize the skills I developed at Samford to further the mission of the Church in Rwanda. I look forward to this next year and all the lessons I will learn while serving in Rwanda.”
The world is better because of Cameron Collins and all thefaculty and staff who prepared him for service.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.