June 15, 2009
Dr. Ryan Galloway serves within our Department of Communications Studies as assistant professor. He also directs our outstanding debate team, through which our students have earned many regional and national honors. His website states that he considers himself to be an “excellent Ms. Pac-Man player,” but his talents far surpass video games. This week, Ryan and his colleagues throughout Birmingham are hosting the tournament for the National Forensics League, the premier organization for high school speech and debate. As of yesterday afternoon, more than 5100 participants had registered for the meeting. This talented group of students assembled on the Samford campus last night. Given Ryan’s credentials and recruitment savvy, I suspect that more than a handful of the students will be back in Birmingham soon... as Samford students.
The world is better because of our many faculty members who go the second mile.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.