September 21, 2009
Lowell Vann, a treasure of the Samford faculty, received the Buchanan Award a few weeks ago during our opening convocation. One of his colleagues, Robin Snyder, managed to snare this message that Dr. Vann received from one of his former students and pass it along to me:
"I think often of the summer you taught me pottery and so kindly gave me the run of the ceramics studio. Not only did you teach me so much about art, you taught me about myself. I was in the middle of probably the hardest time in my life and something about centering clay helped me center myself again. I don't think I ever made a pot that was gallery worthy, but the process of wedging and centering was the best thing that could have happened to me that summer. You teach a wonderful craft with such joy and enthusiasm."
The world is better because of Lowell Vann.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.