July 12, 2010
First Light is an emergency shelter accepting homeless women and homeless women with children 24 hours a day. Samford's Department of Family Studies has maintained a collaboration with the First Light Shelter for seven years, through our Family Life Education service-learning course. That relationship deepened this past academic year when the student members of the National Council on Family Relations and their sponsor, Dr. Jonathan Davis, worked with Samford's executive chef, Chris Vizzina, to serve breakfast on several occasions to those taking refuge at First Light. "Chris has been wonderful, preparing the entire meal beforehand (though the students were willing to help) and organizing transportation to the shelter, where our students mingle with the homeless women and take turns on the serving line," said Dr. Davis.
The world is better because of Samford's service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.