August 25, 2008
This e-mail message arrived in my inbox on Friday afternoon . . .
“My daughter is an incoming freshman at Samford this year. My wife and I were very pleased at her choice of schools, and the experience we had on move in day strongly reinforced her decision. I must say, after having two other daughters move in to other colleges, the program at Samford is in a class by itself. The students who helped unload the car and take the contents to her room could not have been more friendly and welcoming. In addition, several people stopped by her room to make sure everything was in good shape and asked how they could help! I was amazed and very impressed with the entire experience.”
The world is better because of the welcoming spirit of our students, faculty, and staff.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.