November 29, 2010
Lynda Jentsch of our Department of World Languages and Cultures reports that Samford's eight-member Model United Nations team did itself proud this past week at the National Model UN Conference-Europe in Olomouc, Czech Republic. Students representing Ireland, Devon Arnold, Andrew Mays, and Clay Menefee, took Honorable Mention, while those representing Slovenia, Kathleen Artman (Head Delegate), Martin Bunt, Jayme Cloninger (who also presented for the UNESCO Committee), Thomas Espy, and Hillary Sawyer garnered a Distinguished Delegation award. The team's sponsor, trainer, and trip organizer, Dr. Andrew Konitzer, called this "the best team we've had yet." Teams competed previously in China, Ecuador, Serbia, and New York City, with another New York conference coming up in the spring.
The world is better because Samford students are in the world.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.