February 14, 2011
From Dean David Chapman of the Howard College of Arts and Sciences:
"Dr. John Sampey, Jr. was a professor of Chemistry at Howard College in the 1920s and 30s. One of his pupils, Dr. Hugh Linder, was so impressed by Sampey’s teaching that in 1985, some 60 years after he studied under Dr. Sampey, he left a substantial gift to endow a professorship in Dr. Sampey’s name. That fund continued to grow, and this year we announced the first holder of the Sampey Research Professor: Dr. Andrew Lampkins. The Sampey Research Professor is the first to be established in our College in over 40 years. It will strengthen our reputation as an academic institution and help us recruit outstanding Chemistry professors to our university. It will provide direct benefits to our students who are involved in undergraduate research. And it will serve as a lasting reminder of the impact a professor had on the life of one of his students."
The world is better because of the influence of generations of Samford faculty members.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.