June 27, 2011
Dr. Peter Hughes from our faculty in the McWhorter School of Pharmacy passed along these comments from Rachel Long, a May MSOP graduate, regarding her Samford experience:
“I was actually accepted into four other schools along with Samford. Samford was the last school to accept me, but I remained determined to attend MSOP. Most of my family was on pins and needles, but I knew MSOP was the right choice for me. At MSOP it's all about making a difference in patient's lives. It's not about preparing you for a career to make money, it’s about preparing you to become a leader and a change agent in the field of pharmacy. MSOP also provides that close knit family atmosphere. When just one student struggles or suffers, the whole school does with him or her. The professors and other faculty push every student to achieve higher standards in the profession and though I may have disagreed with some, I never lost respect or admiration for any. MSOP provides well rounded training in pharmacy practice and creates pharmacists who care. I am blessed for my time spent here, and hope to represent the school well as I progress through my career.”
The world is better because of the McWhorter School of Pharmacy.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.