February 6, 2012
Perhaps you missed the story last month, but 128 Samford employees with 1,430 years of cumulative service were honored at our annual awards luncheon. Of those honored this year, James Brown of our Department of History had the longest tenure . . . 40 years. As I travel across the country and around the world, visiting with Samford alumni, I often ask them to recount the members of the faculty and staff who most influenced them. Time and time again, I hear, “Dr. Brown,” “Dr. Brown was an incredible teacher,” “Dr. Brown’s storytelling powers are amazing,” “Dr. Brown could read the phone book and make it interesting,” “Dr. Brown caused me to fall in love with history.”
The world is better because of Jim Brown.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.