April 23, 2012
As we approach our May 1 deadline for deposits for the entering class of undergrads, we’re working with hundreds of families. Jim Pounds, Director of the Extension Division for Beeson Divinity School, was representing Samford at a meeting in another city a few nights ago and sent this report to Joe Hopkins, Dean of the School of the Arts, about an encounter with one of our 2012 recruits:
“I stopped to get a quick bite to eat . . . seemed pretty routine until the young lady behind the counter saw my Samford credit card and then she immediately lit up: ‘Do you work at Samford? That’s where I want to go to school! It’s the greatest place in the world! Their music school is the best! I’ve been going to their camps and participating in several events for the last year! I sure hope I get to go there! I don’t know why anyone would want to go anywhere else! I’m going to study music education and can’t see myself at any other school!’ This went on and on for quite a while and plenty of folks in the restaurant heard her and could see her expressions. You can’t buy that kind of advertisement!”
The world is better because the enthusiasm of new students helps us to remember why we are called to this work.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.