July 23, 2012
From Belinda Isley, Assistant Professor in our Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing:
"Jane Holston is just finishing up doctoral study at The University of South Alabama. As a part of her capstone project she and Nathan Troost put together the following documentary about the potential consequences of concussion and, in particular, second impact syndrome. Her goal is to increase awareness of second impact syndrome especially in high school athletes. She will be working with Dr. Steve Savarese, Director of Alabama High School Athletic Association, to increase concussion awareness, potential consequences, and the life-threatening sequelae of second impact syndrome in high school athletes."
The world is better because Samford people apply their knowledge to solving problems.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.