Rave Alert Wireless Short Message Service
All Samford students and employees are automatically registered for the free Rave Alert system to receive emergency notices via their Samford e-mail addresses. Students and employees also may opt to receive text messages to their mobile phones by registering a mobile phone number online. (Mobile service plans may charge for the delivery of text messages.)
To SIGN UP to receive RAVE ALERTS:
1. Sign into the Portal (https://portal.samford.edu)
2. Click on Banner
3. Click on Personal Information
4. Click on Emergency Alert Information
5. Follow the instructions to enter up to 3 cell phone numbers to receive emergency alert text messages. Your Samford email address will always receive emergency alerts, but you may enter 2 additional non-Samford email addresses.
The Emergency Alert Information in Banner is loaded into Samford’s RAVE Alert system every night. Any changes you make should be reflected in RAVE the next day.
To VERIFY that your information is correct in RAVE:
1. Login to Rave ( https://www.getrave.com/login/samford )
2. Enter your Samford userid and password to login
3. Verify that the information in RAVE is correct.
To TEST that your cell phone can receive RAVE ALERTS:
4. Click the yellow Confirm button or the yellow Test button in RAVE to confirm that you can receive emergency alerts on your phone.
If you have any questions or experience any problems getting your cell phone setup to receive RAVE Alerts, please contact the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or dial Ext. 2662 and someone will be happy to assist you.
The Rave Alert system allows users to add up to three e-mail addresses and three telephone numbers to receive notices. This allows one to add a parent, spouse or other party interested in receiving university emergency notices.
Use of the Rave Alert system is restricted to emergencies. Information supplied to the Rave Alert system will not be used to send general university announcements or other nonemergency communications.
If an emergency situation exists, the carillon (bell tower) atop Davis Library may ring a single bell for five minutes. Check for e-mail or text messages that contain additional information.
The most likely emergencies are weather related. Public Safety and Emergency Management personnel monitor the National Weather Service for warnings specific to the campus and surrounding area. Emergency notification systems are activated only when there is a direct threat to the Samford campus. Jefferson County emergency sirens are sounded when there is a tornado warning for any part of the county and may be audible even though Samford has not activated its emergency notification system. However, take cover until you have assurance that the warning does not include the Samford campus.