Samford University

Email this page  View PDF of complete handbook

Other Services, Requirements and Costs

Please see Other Services, Requirements and Costs on the Bursar's Office site.

Other Services, Requirements and Costs

Activity Fees

Tennis, swimming, racquetball and many other recreational activities are available without charge. The field house has an indoor jogging track. Outdoor activities, such as white-water rafting, rappelling, etc., are sponsored by the Student Government Association. Fees are charged to cover the actual cost of these activities. 

Check Cashing

The Bookstore is authorized to cash checks up to $50 per day for a student whose account is in good standing. The face of the check must have the student’s name, local address, telephone number and student identification number.   Students must present a valid photo ID. A student who presents a check to Samford University that is not honored by the bank will be charged $30. If that check is not redeemed within 10 days of notification, the student may be subject to disciplinary or legal action. All check cashing privileges are revoked after the third returned check. 

Medical Insurance for Students

Samford students are required to carry health insurance while enrolled at Samford.   

Students in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy are required to provide proof of current personal health insurance coverage.  Each semester, students in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy are automatically enrolled in the University sponsored student health insurance plan.  There is a charge for this coverage.  To have the charge removed from his/her Samford account, a pharmacy/nursing student must provide proof of insurance by completing the insurance waiver at 

International Students

Based upon federal regulations and University policy, all F and J visa holders are required to carry insurance that meets certain coverage requirements.  Information about specific policy carriers, minimum coverage, and premium costs is available from the International Studies Office at (205) 726-4334. 

Membership Fees

Some student organizations have an annual membership fee.  In addition, Greek organizations have monthly dues along with an initiation fee. These fees are charged directly by such organizations and will not be posted on student accounts. 

Personal Property Insurance

Students at college have a large investment in personal property - computers, tablets, television sets, DVD players, radios, cell phones, cameras, calculators, mini-refrigerators, clothing, text books, and other personal property.  Samford University is not liable for a student’s personal property should a loss occur on campus. 

All students, especially those who live in residence halls, should insure their personal property either through their parent’s homeowners insurance or through a private insurance policy.  The University has established an insurance program through National Student Services, Inc.  This insurer provides personal property insurance for students at over 1,000 colleges and universities. For more information on student personal property insurance see or pick up a brochure at the Residence Life Office, 106 Beeson University Center. 

The Samford Card and Bulldog Bucks

All students are required to have an official Samford University photo ID (Samford Card), made and recorded by the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Management.  The ID offers students a convenient, safe and easy way to make purchases and utilize campus services.  It is used as an identification card, meal card, library card, and for access to certain facilities.  With activation of Bulldog Bucks, the Samford Card can be used to make purchases on campus.  Bulldog Bucks work similarly to a checking account in that the deposited funds are debited each time a student makes a purchase. 

ManageMyID will allow students, parents and employees to deposit money online, without any credit card fees, into Bulldog Bucks.  Using the link cardholders can budget their account by tracking spending and report a lost or stolen card at any time.   

Student Telephone Services

Local telephone service is included in housing charges. Telephones are not included and must be provided by the student. Resident students can dial any local or intra-campus call with no additional charge.   

Samford no longer provides long-distance services to students. Most students use the long-distance services provided by their own cellular telephone service plan.  Students who need long distance services should make arrangements with a long distance carrier and use that carrier’s access (usually dialing an 800 number) to make long-distance calls. For more information regarding telephone service, contact Telephone Services at (205) 726-2996. 

Financial Aid Information

Students seeking financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at Our priority date is March 1 for the upcoming academic year. 

Students who filed the FAFSA on or before that date will comprise the first group for which we package and award financial aid for the upcoming academic year.  FAFSAs filed after March 1 will be processed in the order they are received.  Students may obtain information regarding financial aid online at or by telephone at (205) 726-2905 or toll free at 1-800-888-7245. Students are encouraged to use these resources for questions regarding financial aid at Samford University. 


close x