In order to apply for admission to the School of the Arts, undergraduate students must apply to Samford University through the Office of Admission and have declared a major within the School of the Arts. Although you may register for and audition or interview at any point in the admission process, you must have a university application on file in order to audition or interview and submit a division specific School of the Arts application.
Please note admission to Samford University and admission to the School of the Arts are dual admission processes for majors within the Division of Music and Department of Theatre and Dance. Only when you have received successful admission to Samford University and the School of the Arts are you permitted to enroll in a major within Music or Theatre and Dance.
Registration links will be available in early August.
If you are not able to attend one of these weekends, please contact the Arts Recruiter at email@example.com
Art and Design
Students majoring in fine art, graphic design, interior design, or pre-architecture have the option to submit an electronic portfolio by February 15, 2018, for School of the Arts scholarship consideration. A portfolio is not required for entering freshmen to declare a major in these programs.
Students majoring in music are required to audition/interview for admission to the School of the Arts. On-campus auditions are strongly encouraged; our dates for audition and interview weekends for students seeking fall 2018 enrollment are November 3-4, February 2-3, and February 23-24. Students with exceptional circumstances may request to submit a DVD audition or schedule an individual audition; please contact the arts recruiter to discuss these options.
Undergraduate Forms & Files
- Athletic Bands & Instrumental Ensemble Scholarship Application
- Current Institution Acknowledgement Form - for transfer applicants in music
A bachelor of music (B.M.) degree, or an equivalent degree, from an institution accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music is required for admission to all programs. An applicant whose undergraduate preparation does not meet these specifications may be admitted provisionally, with the requirement that course work stipulated at the time of admission be completed to ensure that preparation is equivalent to that of a graduate of the bachelor of music degree program offered by the Division of Music at Samford. Courses completed in satisfying this requirement must earn a grade of at least B and do not count toward the master’s degree.
Unconditional admission to any program requires a grade-point average of 3.0 or above. Admission to the master of music education programs requires a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale) in music courses and on the undergraduate degree as a whole. There will be no exceptions. Minimum GPA for conditional admission to all other programs is 2.7 on a 4-point scale. Applicants for the master of music education (traditional program) must also submit minimum scores of 150 on the Music: Content Knowledge Exam (Test #0013) on the Praxis II Examination.
Graduate Application Requirements
- The application form and fee ($35).
- An official transcript from each institution attended since high school. Applicants for the master of music education degrees must provide two official transcripts.
- An acceptable score, not more than five years old, on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants whose native language is not English may substitute the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), on which a minimum score of 90 is required.
- An audition in the solo performance area.
- An interview with the director of graduate studies in music and/or faculty from the area of study.
- A copy of an Alabama Class B teaching certificate in music education or an acceptable score on the Alabama Educators Certification Testing Program (AECTP) for those applying for music education. The AECTP contains both the Basic Skills Assessment and the Praxis II.
Graduate Application and Forms
Theatre & Dance
Students majoring in theatre are required to audition/interview for admission to the School of the Arts. On-campus auditions are strongly encouraged; our dates for audition and interview weekends for seeking fall 2018 enrollment are November 3-4, February 2-3, and February 23-24. Students with exceptional circumstances may request to submit a DVD audition or schedule an individual audition; please contact the arts recruiter to discuss these options.