Graduate FAQ

This page is a supplement to the information provided on the rest of our website. Please look through the website for more comprehensive information. If you have questions that are not answered on this page or on our website, please contact the Academic Programs Office at

Are classes only offered in the evening?

Graduate business classes are in the evening or online .  We accept students to take full-time and part-time class loads. Many recent college graduates and international students participate on a full-time level. Our full-time students take a heavier course load, study during the day, and attend classes in the evening or online. Pre-MAcc courses are offered during the day and are taken at the undergraduate level.

Do you offer assistantships to students?

At this time, Brock School of Business does not offer assistantships.

Do you provide services to new students moving to Birmingham?

The Graduate Student Services Office has information available for students relocating to Birmingham. For more information, click here.

International Students

How do I attain a student visa?

Once you have been formally accepted to Brock School of Business at Samford University and your financial documentation has been approved, the International Studies Office will issue your I-20/DS-2019 form. You must take the I-20/DS-2019 along with your Letter of Acceptance, financial documents and your valid passport to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence. You will then apply for a student visa (F-1 or J-1 depending on your status) so that you may study at Samford University. Prior to your visa appointment you must pay your SEVIS fee (I-901 fee). SEVIS 

When will I receive my I-20 / DS-2019? 

Upon formal acceptance into your program of study and approval of your financial documentation, your I-20/DS-2019 will be created. You will receive your I-20/DS-2019 via FedEx to the mailing address listed on your Application Addendum. Please note that these documents may not be sent to you electronically.

How do I find housing and transportation when I move to Birmingham?

Samford University does not provide on campus accommodation for graduate students. Students are responsible for finding their own house or apartment. Please be aware that Birmingham does not have a public transportation system. Students will need to arrange for transportation to classes. Purchasing a car is often the best option for students, because the campus is not accessible by walking or by bike. For more information, click here.

Is medical insurance a requirement for study?

Yes, per University policy, all international students (as well as their dependents coming with them) are required to carry sufficient medical coverage during the entire course of their program. Insurance will be ordered for you with the cost being placed on your student account. Please arrive to the university financially prepared to bear this cost.

Can my family come with me to the U.S. during the course of my study?

Only immediate family members may accompany you to the U.S. during the course of your program. According to the U.S. government an immediate family member is either a child under the age of 21 or a married spouse of the F-1/J-1 visa holder. In order for an immediate family member to accompany you at Samford they will (each) have to apply for an F-2/J-2 visa. They should not enter the country on a tourist visa. Each family member will receive an I-20. In order to attain such from the International Studies Office the F-1 student must provide evidence of having at minimum $3,000 per immediate family member in additional funding to support them. This is done via the Financial documentation provided in your application.

A J-1 visa holder must also provide evidence of having additional funding to support the immediate family member(s).

Can I defer my start term?

You may. However, if you defer, you must notify the Brock School of Business Academic Programs Office and the International Studies Office after you have been accepted. Your I-20/DS-2019 will need to be updated with a new program start date.

What should I do if I decide not to attend Samford following acceptance?

You must notify the Academic Programs Office immediately by email at You must then return the issued I-20/DS-2019 to our office. You may not use such for entrance into the U.S. to study at a university other than Samford University.