The Master of Studies in Law (M.S.L.)
The Master of Studies in Law (M.S.L.) program is a fully online, thirty-six-hour master's degree program offered by Cumberland School of Law. The program is designed primarily for nonlawyers interested in pursuing a graduate degree that will position them for advancement in their current field, although practicing attorneys may choose to pursue a degree that complements their current practice or opens doors to a new area of practice. Our faculty members are industry experts, practicing attorneys, Cumberland School of Law faculty and Samford faculty from other disciplines.
As an M.S.L. student, you will complete two classes per term for six consecutive terms, earning the degree in twenty-four months. You may choose from one of four specialized, career-enhancing concentrations or design a personalized course of study by choosing from a variety of electives through the general option. Follow the links below to learn more about each of our concentrations:
- Financial Services Regulatory Compliance
- Health Law and Policy
- Higher Education Law and Compliance
- Legal Project Management
- Custom Option
Our students typically have at least one year of experience in their field and wish to expand their career options while developing practical, specialized skills and expertise.
The Master of Studies in Law (M.S.L.) program is pending approval by SACSCOC.
The goals of the Master of Studies in Law (M.S.L.) program are to:
- Prepare students for professional careers through a systematic program of real world courses and training
- Encourage graduates to pursue relevant professional credentials from industry-leading organizations
- Empower students to interact effectively with attorneys and other members of the legal community
- Develop the core competencies in a specialized field of study which are necessary for professional success
All applicants must complete and submit an online application. All materials must be submitted through the online system which includes detailed instructions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to log into his or her application to confirm that all required materials (recommendations, transcripts) have been received by the deadline. Official transcripts from all universities from which the applicant received college credit must be submitted directly from the institution to Cumberland School of Law, 800 Lakeshore Drive, Birmingham Alabama, 35229, ATTN: MSL. Please allow ample time for transcript orders to be processed.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- A bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 undergraduate GPA from a regionally accredited institution
- GRE or MAT scores strongly advised, but not required, for students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement
- Two letters of recommendation, each from a former faculty member or supervisor
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume*
- Applicant video (to be completed within the application itself)
- Students with a JD may apply for advanced standing, allowing them to waive two of the required first-year courses.
*Competitive applications for all programs will include a resume demonstrating industry experience. Students applying for the Legal Project Management concentration must have a minimum of one year of experience in a law firm or corporate legal environment
- Application Open – October 1, 2017
- Application Deadline – June 1, 2018
- Orientation – August 10 & 11, 2018
- Fall Start Date – August 27, 2018
Financial Aid, Tuition and Fees
For information about financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid online or contact their office at 205-726-2905 or 1-800-888-7245.
Once available, tuition and fees for the 2018-2019 academic year will be posted on the Student Financial Services website. Students in the M.S.L. program pay Samford University’s graduate per-credit-hour tuition rate. For academic year 2017-18, the graduate per-credit-hour rate is $813. At this time, no scholarship opportunities are available for students in the M.S.L. program.