Assistant Professor and Director, Curriculum Materials and Technology Center
Orlean Beeson School of Education
Dr. Michele Haralson is the director of the Curriculum Materials and Technology Center at Samford where she has taught undergraduate and graduate technology classes in the School of Education since 2012. She currently serves as the school’s diversity chairman, which involves coordinating Samford’s teacher education partnership with Miles College.
Before joining Samford, she served as a library media specialist in K-12 urban and inner-city public schools, and spent seven years in higher education teaching at both the University of Alabama and the University of Central Florida.
She and her husband, Ronny, have four grown children, a daughter and three sons.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D. Instructional Technology, University of Alabama
- M.L.S. University of Alabama
- M.B.A. University of Miami
- B.S. Elementary Education, Georgetown College
- educational technology (K-12 classroom)
- working with diverse pre-service teachers and faculty
- Haralson, M., Hoaglund, A., & Rogers, H.E. (2014). “The Effectiveness of Webquests in Preservice Teacher Education Programs.” The Journal of Multicultural Education and Technology.
- Hoaglund, A., Birkenfeld, K., Little, D. C. , & Haralson, M. K. (2013). Effective Instruction: Teachers Impacting Student Learning. Educational collaborative.
- Hoaglund, A. E., Birkenfeld, K. J., & Haralson, M. K. (2012). The Purposeful Teacher. Educational collaborative.
- Ansah, A., Neill, P., & Haralson, M. K. (2010). Distance Education: Higher Education Barriers and Catalysts. Electronic Journal for the Integration of Technology in Education.
- Haralson, M. (January 2015). “Engaging K-12 Students using Plickers for Assessment.” Florida Educational Technology Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Finn, D.M. & Haralson, M. (2014, January 20-24). “Teaching Children with Special Needs Through Technology in the General Education Classroom.” Lebanese Society for Educational and Social Development (LSESD)-Project SKILD (Smart Kids with Individual Learning Difficulties). Presented to 8 schools across Lebanon in cities including Beirut, Zahle, Chouf, Sidon, and Antellias.
- 2014: We R Makers Workshop, Samford University in conjunction with Trace Crossings Elementary, iPad workshop for teachers, administrators, and students.
- 2013: Samford Teachers Education Workshop, Samford University, Technology workshop for regional teachers and administrators.
- Haralson, M., Box, J.A., & Landers, E.B. (2012, June 6-10). “Using Moodle Learning Management System to Deliver Online Instruction.” Asian Baptist Graduate Theological Seminary (ABGTS). Taipei, Taiwan. Presented to 8 seminaries across Southeast Asia including Singapore, Japan, Korea, Thailand, and the Phillipines.
- Co-founder of 316 Ministries, Inc., a nonprofit that provides food, toiletries and other necessities to the under-served in the Birmingham community.
- Teacher Education Awards/Scholarship Committee
- OBB Diversity Committee
- University Diversity Committee
- OBB Awards Committee