Samford continues to monitor the ongoing outbreaks of respiratory illness caused by a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. The risk for Alabamians is low at this time; however, university leaders are regularly reviewing information from the U.S. Department of State, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Alabama Department of Public Health. While there have been no reported cases with any connection to Samford (or Alabama), the university is taking proactive steps to ensure the safety and health of our community out of an abundance of caution. You can find information about the university’s efforts, including the recently announced suspension of university-sponsored travel to mainland China and Hong Kong, on our emergency alerts website.
Both the U.S Department of State and the CDC have issued travel warnings, urging individuals to avoid all unnecessary travel to these areas. With this in mind, Samford will require any student or employee traveling from mainland China and Hong Kong or surrounding region to self-quarantine for 14 days and be evaluated by a health care provider before returning to campus.
Stay up to date with the latest about the coronavirus on the CDC website.
The Spring semester is underway and this is the time of year when we see a lot of colds, flu and other illnesses on campus; it’s important that you take steps to protect yourself now.
What can I do to stay well?
There are some simple but effective things we can all do to help protect ourselves against the flu and other respiratory viruses. These include:
- Get a flu shot! University Health Services offers flu shots daily from 8 m.-4:30 p.m. Appointments are not necessary and walk-ins are welcome! Don’t delay in taking this important step.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Practice good cough and sneeze hygiene (cough or sneeze into your elbow)
- STAY AWAY from people you know have the flu or other illnesses
- If you think you have the flu STAY AWAY from others and campus, and contact your healthcare provider
- Disinfect surfaces often with a cleaner that kills the flu virus (for example, Clorox wipes).
If you become ill, stay away from others on campus and contact University Health Services or your health care provider. You may not attend Step Sing or Step Sing practice if you are ill, so it is important to take preventive measures now.
Thank you for your vigilance and cooperation in helping to ensure the health and safety of our community.