Academic Advisor, Brock School of Business
In order for your resume to be routed to the appropriate hiring manager, you must include the job number DBUS73 in the subject line of your email.
The Academic Advisor will advise year pre-business students and all business minors in the development of academic schedules and serve as a liaison to the Office of Admissions while working on recruiting initiatives.
- Provide academic advisement for pre-business students and all minors in the Brock School of Business
- Provide essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures that facilitates the advisement process; and assist students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals of students
- Advise and assist pre-business students and minors in development of class schedules
- Assist in resolution of individual academic problems for pre-business students and minors
- Answer student inquiries and resolve problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogs, written course descriptions, and other appropriate sources
- Review student grade reports each semester to determine progression and/or probation based on academic regulations of the Brock School of Business; notify and place students on probation; return students to regular status after sufficient progress is made
- Update and maintain Undergraduate Programs content on Brock School of Business website
- Coordinate all recruitment activities for the Brock School of Business including Fall Preview Days, January football recruitment, Junior Preview Day, Admit Student Day, Samford Showcase – high school college counselors, Majors Fair, etc.
- Develop and execute integrated, effective recruitment communication for Brock School of Business through SLATE; maintain active list of potential recruits for each cycle; provide extracts for faculty phone calls; manage BSOB scholarship application and awards
- Manage and conduct on-campus interviews on behalf of the Brock School of Business as well as student classroom visits
- Work as liaison between Office of Admissions and the Brock School of Business to coordinate all recruitment efforts for business prospects
- Work closely with Director of Admissions, Director of Campus Visits, Office of Admission counselors, Student Recruitment Team, Dean’s Office of Brock School of Business as well as BSOB faculty and staff
- Manage and coordinate 4 summer orientation sessions in June and August for entering pre-business students as well as 2 transfer orientations in June and January
- Interface with the Office of Admission Transfer Coordinator for advisement and orientation of potential transfers to Brock School of Business; provide an academic planner for potential transfer
- Plan and execute a freshman forum for fall semester for first year students
- Perform job-related duties as assigned by Assistant Dean, Associate Dean or Dean of the Brock School of Business
To apply for this job, your resume and/or cover letter must show that you have:
- A Bachelor's degree
- At least 6 months of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified – or higher education work experience
Qualified applicants will also be required to have the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records
Submit a resume and cover letter with current salary/salary requirements to:
Resumes received after the posting is removed will not be considered.
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Employer.