Critical Language Tutors - Swahili and Russian
In order for your resume to be routed to the appropriate hiring manager, you must include the job number CRTL94 in the subject line of your email.
The Critical Languages Program Tutor (currently hiring for target languages: Swahili and Russian) should be able to work professionally in small tutorial sessions and act as a liaison between the language students and the Program Director.
- Twice weekly, guide small classes of elementary and/or intermediate-level students of target language through an established course of study of the language
- Speak the target language with students in class, prepare formative assessments, evaluate spoken and written student performance, and help prepare students for a final exam given by an external examiner
- Keep detailed attendance records
- Follow a syllabus and other directions provided by the Program Director
- Handle confidential student information and assessment materials
- Refer students to Program Director for advising
- Uphold program standards
- Assess the level of potential students as needed
- Promote the Critical Languages Program
- Recruit students
To apply for this job, you must be able to answer "yes" to the following questions and your resume and/or cover letter must clearly support your answers.
- Are you a native speaker of Russian or Swahili?
- Are you able to understand, read, write, and type the formal standard register of one of these target languages?
Qualified applicants will also be required to have the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
- Proficiency in English
- Minimum two years of experience using Microsoft Outlook and Word
- Ability to meet deadlines promptly
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Bachelor's degree or certification in the target language, its literature, its civilization/s or pedagogy or in or related to second-language teaching
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience of the target language or a second language
- Knowledge of the culture and organization of an academic institution
- Proficiency using a learning management system (Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, etc.)
- Proficiency using PowerPoint to create teaching presentations
- Proficiency using voice recording software to create teaching and testing materials
Submit a resume and cover letter with current salary/salary requirements to:
Resumes received after the posting is removed will not be considered.
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Employer.