Media Relations Manager
The Media Relations Manager will be a strategic thinker with exceptional written, verbal and visual communication skills and the ability to work effectively and simultaneously in multiple forms of communication including print, web, social media and multimedia. The position requires a solid understanding of the principles of public relations and will be an integral member of the campus community, working collaboratively with campus partners to ensure that strategic communication goals are achieved.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the Division of Marketing and Communication to provide leadership on all matters related to university communication and media relations.
- Ensure brand integrity by monitoring university communication to ensure that it meets high standards of quality in content and appearance; assist with copyediting as needed.
- Manage the content and production of Belltower, the university’s weekly e-news publication (delivered to more than 42,400 employees, students, alumni and friends of the university).
- Serve as the primary media contact for the university. Manage all media activities, including building relationships with local, regional and national media; pitching stories and in-house experts; coordinating responses to breaking news; coordinating interview requests; and proactively seeking opportunities for earned media.
- Advance the university's local, regional and national visibility. Develop proactive strategies for promoting the university’s academic programs, public service activities, and faculty and student scholarship and accomplishments. Collaborate with marketing and communication colleagues to demonstrate the impact and value of the university to diverse audiences through a broad spectrum of media.
- Conduct regular assessments of ongoing work at the university-level and in individual units to identify media opportunities. Ensure appropriate coverage for faculty and student accomplishments and identify opportunities to proactively position faculty and staff as experts in the media.
- Research, plan, write and pitch inspiring, informative, engaging and audience-relevant content for print and digital. Ensure content is adaptable for use in additional channels.
- Establish and oversee the process for hometown news releases highlighting student achievements using Merit/Read Media or similar software. Implement a process for collaborating with colleagues around campus to solicit regular student news and accolades for publishing.
- Collaborate with marketing and communication colleagues to maintain media experts lists and to provide media training for faculty and staff as needed.
- Using appropriate technologies, continuously monitor all media (print, digital, television and radio) for breaking news and mentions of Samford University programs or personnel. Quickly advise leadership of significant breaking news and position faculty/staff to comment when appropriate.
- Coordinate with the university social media manager to provide routine backup for social media monitoring.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and emerging communications issues facing the organization. Monitor higher education publications and media outlets that are important to the mission of the university and inform key colleagues of relevant stories.
- Regularly report on the effectiveness of media relations activities. Provide monthly and quarterly reports that summarize and quantify Samford media coverage in local, national and international outlets. Use dashboard analytics to measure and report the effectiveness of content through engagement and conversions.
- Serve as the Division of Marketing and Communication liaison with the Samford Crimson.
- Manage selection of, assignments to and other administrative duties related to freelance writers retained by the Division of Marketing and Communication for news and feature stories. Ensure adequate support for serving the needs of the university.
- Be a visible, dynamic and involved participant in the life of the university community. Develop familiarity with all areas of academic and student life.
- Exhibit a positive, service-oriented attitude in interactions with colleagues to fulfill communications needs effectively and efficiently campus-wide.
To apply for this job, your resume and/or cover letter must show that you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Marketing or Public Relations
- A minimum of five years' progressively responsible experience in communication, marketing or public relations
- Professional accreditation in public relations is highly desirable
- Experience in higher education
In order for your resume to be routed to the appropriate hiring manager, you must include the job number PUBL20 in the subject line of your email.
Submit a resume and cover letter with current salary/salary requirements to:
Resumes received after the posting is removed will not be considered.
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Employer.