In order for your resume to be routed to the appropriate hiring manager you must include the job number CHAP20 in the subject line of your email.
The University Minister is responsible for the enrichment, program coordination, pastoral care and worship experiences of religious life among all members of the Samford family. The University Minister provides leadership, supervision and vision for the Office of Spiritual Life and the related programs for students and employees to lead, guide and interpret the Christian mission of Samford University to a variety of constituencies.
- The University Minister leads a team to intentionally and creatively plan, schedule and implement all campus worship services and events, including the oversight of all policies, procedures and requirements of the convocation program. This position leads how to relate the Christian faith to the totality of the University and seeks to develop mature spiritual practices among students that lead to transformational and fruitful lives.
- The University Minister regularly preaches, teaches, lectures or presents to the various groups of the university community, primarily students and employees, as well as the external constituencies of the university.
- The University Minister oversees the staff and budgets and facilities associated with the Office of Spiritual Life, including all events held in Reid Chapel. This position must understand the various needs on a university campus and how multiple approaches to leadership and the effective management of ministers and resources are necessary to missional success.
- The University Minister provides leadership, vision and collaboration for a comprehensive program of faith development and missional living for students. Of most importance is a thoughtful, strategic approach to global missions, spiritual formation and pastoral care.
- The University Minister promotes commitment to Global Missions through support of international mission projects, oversight of the Global Missions Scholarship Program and supervisors of the Missionaries in Residence.
- The University Minister oversees all on-campus religious groups and off-campus guest ministries of churches or para-church organizations to the campus.
- The University Minister serves a prophetic role as a spiritual compass for the University community, who highlights the University’s call to remain true to its stated mission through spoken messages, writings and collegial relationships.
- The University Minister seeks to understand, develop and enhance relationships with the various religion and ministry components of the university, including the departments of religion and philosophy, the Christian Ministry program and the Beeson Divinity School. This position advises how the university may work to deepen our Christian dimension and strengthen its ministry.
- The University Minister reports to the Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and will serve the campus community by providing leadership, direction and spiritual guidance to the senior administration as needed.
To apply for this job, your resume and/or cover letter must show that you have:
- Master of Divinity or Theological Studies, or a related field, from an accredited institution
- At least 5 years' student ministry experience in university/student/campus ministry with increased responsibilities
- Prior experience effectively managing and leading a staff and providing pastoral care to a community
- Outstanding communication skills with frequent preaching or teaching experience in church, student retreats or conferences, with knowledge about student issues, trends, culture and the generational needs of college students
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
Qualified applicants will also be required to have the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
- Must be comfortable in the use of technology related to communication with college students, as well as the needs of effective worship. Elements which may be included, but are not limited to: social media, presentation and worship and music. The use of software such as Word, EXCEL, PowerPoint and Apple products is also expected
- Ph.D., Ed.D., or D.Min. in University/Student/Campus Ministry/Theology, or a related field
- An ordained minister with service in a local church or comparable ministry context
Submit a resume and cover letter with current salary/salary requirements to:
Resumes received after the posting is removed will not be considered.
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Employer.