Thomas J. Kopec, Ph.D., LAT, ATC
Thomas "Tommy" Kopec has been a Certified Athletic Trainer for nearly a decade. Following the completion of his undergraduate degree, Kopec earned a Master of Science in Physiology of Exercise and Adult Fitness from The University of Akron in Akron, Ohio. While pursuing his master’s degree, Kopec worked as a Certified Athletic Trainer for Akron’s athletics department, primarily with football and baseball. In 2009, Kopec returned to his hometown of Mobile, Alabama, accepting a position at the University of South Alabama where he was a part of their inaugural football season. Before returning to The University of Alabama for his terminal degree, Kopec also worked one year as an outreach athletic trainer for Encore Physical Therapy.
In his free time, Kopec enjoys cooking, playing board games, exercise and spending time with his wife, Monica.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., human performance, University of Alabama
- M.S., physiology of exercise and adult fitness, University of Akron
- B.S., athletic training, University of Alabama
Therapeutic modalities, exercise recovery, performance recovery, heart rate variability, musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Kopec TJ, Bishop PA, Esco MR. Influence of dynamic stretch and foam rolling on vertical jump. Athl Train Sports Health Care. (2016)
- Kopec TJ, Hibberd EE, Roos KG, Djoko A, Dompier TP, Kerr ZY. The Epidemiology of Deltoid Ligament Sprains in 25 National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports. J Athl Train. (2016)
- Kopec TJ, Welborn BB, Flatt AA, Esco MR. The acute effect of foam rolling on heart rate variability. 2016; ACSM Annual Conference.
- Kopec TJ, Hibberd EE, Roos KG, Djoko A, Dompier TP, Kerr ZY. The Epidemiology of Deltoid Ligament Sprains in 25 National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports. 2016; RapidFire Oral Presentation; NATA Annual Conference.
- Burns NJ, Kopec TJ, Gray EC, Esco MR. Examination of Energy Cost Among College Marching Musicians. 2016; Poster; NATA Annual Conference.
- Burns NJ, Kopec TJ, Gray EC, Esco MR. Examination of Energy Cost Among College Marching Musicians. 2016; PAMA Annual Conference.
- Kopec TJ, Enquist EE, Richardson MA. Physiological Demands of Playing Disc Golf. 2016; SEACSM Annual Conference.
Physiological recovery from exercise, application of therapeutic modalities for performance recovery, heart rate variability, methods for enhancing physical activity
- College Athletic Trainers Society
- National Athletic Training Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- National Strength and Conditioning Association