Assistant Professor and Nurse Anesthesia Simulation Coordinator
Ida Moffett School of Nursing
Office: CHS Building 1 1564
Phone: 205-726-2461When John Lundeen and his wife drove by Samford University on his way to a job interview, he looked at the school gates and knew something good was going to happen there. Five years later, Lundeen enrolled at Samford, and after graduating with a 4.0 in the RN-M.S.N. educator track, he applied for an instructor position. "One of my earliest and best memories that I have of Samford is that of being led in prayer by a faculty member during an orientation session on my first day on campus. As a Christian coming from a public school system, that was a new but welcomed experience. That moment changed me forever, and I knew and felt that God's hand was on my shoulder, guiding me on the path that He had laid out for me. I'm still following his lead and loving every minute of it," he said.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D., The University of Alabama
- M.S.N., Samford University
- A.D.N., The University of West Alabama
- Certified Nurse Educator, The National League for Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor
- Critical care, medical simulation, nursing education research, curriculum development and online education
Awards and Honors
- Eagle Scout Award, 2006–2007
- Lucille Stewart Beeson Outstanding M.S.N. Nursing Student Award, 2010
- University of West Alabama College of Nursing Emerging Leader Award
- NLN Board of Governors, member-at-large
- NLN Board of Governors Executive Committee
- NLN Board of Governors liaison to the CNE Certification Commission and NLN Awards Committee
- Hoover City Schools Superintendent's Advisory Committee
- Pi Kappa Phi (Alpha Eta chapter) Member Education Adviser
- CNE Certification Commissioner (2011-2013)
- CNE Test Development Committee, chair (2012-2013)
- CNE Test item writer (2012-2013)
- Lundeen, J. D., Warr, R. J., Cortes, C. G., Wallis, F., & Coleman, J. J. (in press). The development of a clinical peer review tool. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Lundeen, J. D. Analysis of first-time unsuccessful attempts on the Certified Nurse Educator examination (in press). Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Simmons, L., Christensen, L., & Lundeen, J. D. (2015). Issues and Trends in Professional Certification: CNE Research [Podium presentation]. National League for Nursing Annual Education Summit, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 2015.
- Lundeen, J. D. (2015). Analysis of Unsuccessful Candidate Performance on the Certified Nurse Educator Examination [Podium presentation]. Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing Faculty Development presentation series, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Pence, J., & Lundeen, J. D. (2012). A Day in the ER: A Multi-Patient Simulation for Senior Nursing Students [Podium presentation]. 16th Annual Human Patient Simulation Network Conference in Tampa, Florida.
- Pence, J., & Lundeen, J. D. (2011). Evolution of Simulation in a Small, Faith-Based University [Podium presentation]. 15th Annual Human Patient Simulation Network Conference in Tampa, Florida.
- Lundeen, J. D., Berry, C. G., & Shelton, L. R. (2010). Is Nighttime the Right Time? A Comparison of Nursing Skill Frequencies Among Clinical Work-Shifts [Poster presentation]. 9th Annual International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resource Centers Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada.