Samford University

+

Then & Now Gallery

Samford moved to its current Homewood location in 1957. View the photographs in our Then and Now section to see what has changed on our current campus as well as our previous two locations in Marion and East Lake.

Homewood: University Center | Dwight Beeson Hall | Davis Library | Samford Hall
East Lake: East Lake Quad | Ruhama Baptist Church
Marion: Howard College Chapel at Marion

Use the sliders below a picture to show before/after.


University Center then
University Center now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Ralph W. Beeson University Center

Named after one of Samford's most valued donors, Ralph W. Beeson University Center is home to the Post Office, Bookstore, Cafeteria, Food Court and Harry’s Coffee shop. Completed in 1957 as one of the first buildings on the new campus, an annex constructed in 1973 allowed room for the addition of offices and classrooms.
^top

Dwight Beeson Hall then
Dwight Beeson Hall now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Dwight Beeson Hall

Completed in 1970 and named for insurance executive and generous benefactor Dwight Moody Beeson, the building houses the Brock School of Business as well as the History and Political Science departments. Ben Brown Plaza, situated in front of Dwight Beeson Hall and completed in 1987, now serves as popular meeting place for students.
^top

Davis Library then
Davis Library now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Harwell G. Davis Library

Constructed in 1957 and named for former Howard College President and Chancellor Major Harwell G. Davis, the library was one of the first buildings to welcome students to their new location in Homewood amidst the mud during those early years. In addition to its vast literary collection, Davis Library houses the Marla Corts Missionary Biography Library, the Alabama Men’s Hall of Fame, Samford University’s Special Collection, and is crowned with Samford’s iconic belltower and the Rushton Carillon.
^top

Samford Hall then
Samford Hall now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Frank Park Samford Hall

Dedicated in 1955, Samford Hall was the first building completed on the Homewood campus. Formerly used for classes, Samford Hall is now home to the Office of the President, Office of Admissions, and other administrative offices. A seedling from the Sherman Oak, a central figure on the East Lake campus, stands in front of Samford Hall. As President Westmoreland often reminds students, “We stand under the shade of trees we did not plant.”
^top

East Lake Quad then
East Lake Quad now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

East Lake Quad

Home to Howard college from 1887-1957, the East Lake campus centered around the quadrangle including Old Main (center), the “Vine Covered Shack” (to the right of Old Main), Riley Hall, and the beloved Sherman Oak (seen at right) at its center. None of the original Howard College buildings still stand in East Lake. The Sherman Oak required removal in the 1990s and its stump (seen at right) is now situated amidst apartment complexes in today’s East Lake community.
^top

Ruhama Baptist Church then
Ruhama Baptist Church now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Ruhama Baptist Church

Adjacent to the East Lake campus, Ruhama Baptist Church served as the spiritual heart of Howard College until the school relocated in the 1950s. Students often attended weekly services at Ruhama and Howard College Commencement services (as seen in this 1951 photograph) took place in the church. Ruhama sold its property in 2001 and merged with First Baptist Church of Irondale.
^top

Howard College Chapel at Marion then
Howard College Chapel at Marion now
Image One
Caroline Baird Summers
Photographer Credit
Image Two
Photograph courtesy of Samford University Special Collection
Photographer Credit

Howard College chapel at Marion

The chapel on the first campus of Howard College/Samford University in Marion, Alabama still stands today as part of Marion Military Institute. Seen here are the Howard College Cadets in military-style uniforms as required by college president J.T. Murfee.
^top
close x