Samford University Announces 19th President
The Samford University Board of Trustees today elected Beck A. Taylor as its 19th president, effective July 1, 2021.
About the Search
The Samford Presidential Search Committee received more than 80 nominations and applications in its search for the university’s 19th president. The search lasted six months, ending with a Board of Trustees vote and formal announcement on March 10, 2021.
- Aug. 28, 2020: Bill Stevens, chair of Samford’s Board of Trustees, announced the formation of the Samford Presidential Search Committee.
- Sept. 17, 2020: The search committee held its first meeting.
- Oct. 3, 2020: The search committee reviewed the results of the Presidential Assessment Survey, which gathered input from nearly 2,000 faculty, staff, students and alumni.
- Nov. 7, 2020: The search committee set a deadline for nominations and applications of Dec. 1.
- Jan. 27, 2021: The search committee provided an update to the Samford community.
- March 9, 2021: A series of constituent reference panels was convened to interview the final candidate.
- March 10, 2021: Samford’s Board of Trustees convened a special meeting to vote on the appointment of Beck A. Taylor as the 19th president of Samford University.
- Looking Forward: Taylor will take office on July 1, 2021, with his official inauguration ceremonies to follow in the fall.