What is involved in the application process?
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from a four-year accredited college or university. Any undergraduate major is acceptable for one to apply to law school.
Cumberland School of Law accepts applications for admission beginning Sept. 1. Applicants are required to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), subscribe to the Law School Data Assembly Service, have two letters of recommendation and all undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts sent to LSAC, and submit a completed application, résumé and personal statement. A $50 application fee should be included by students applying after Dec. 31. There is no application fee between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31.
Does Cumberland School of Law have an early decision plan?
No. However, the law school has rolling admission, so admission decisions are made on a continuous basis once an applicant’s file becomes complete. Some decisions may be made as early as December. We begin receiving applications on September 1. March 14 is the ultimate deadline to submit your application, personal statement, resume and any addenda. Your credential assembly service (CAS) report and two letters of recommendation can be received at a date no later than April 1. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications by the Dec. 31 priority deadline, as seats fill quickly and scholarships are awarded early in the admission process. There is no application fee charged prior to the Dec. 31 priority deadline.
Does the admission office offer evaluative interviews?
What is required to apply to Cumberland School of Law as a transfer student?
What is required to apply to Cumberland School of Law as a visiting/transient student?
- A completed application for admission, including a personal statement explaining why the applicant desires to take classes at Cumberland School of Law.
- A letter of good standing from the dean of the applicant’s ABA–accredited law school.
- A letter from the applicant’s ABA–accredited law school stating the applicant is authorized to take courses at Cumberland School of Law as a visiting/transient student and it will count acquired credits (subject to appropriate conditions) toward the student’s degree.
Are tours of the law school and law library available?
I’d like to talk to a Cumberland School of Law alum from my area. How can I make contact?
What factors are considered by the admission committee when applications are reviewed?
What test scores and undergraduate GPA do I need to be a competitive applicant to Cumberland School of Law?
What are the median LSAT score and undergraduate GPA?
|Fall 2014 Entering Class Admission Statistics|
|75th percentile LSAT:||154|
|25th percentile LSAT:||148|
|75th percentile GPA:||3.5|
|25th percentile GPA:||2.9|
Does Cumberland School of Law allow admitted applicants to defer admission?
Scholarship & Financial Aid+
How much does it cost to attend Cumberland School of Law?
How many Cumberland students receive scholarships?
Scholarship data can be found on the ABA Required Disclosures page
What kinds of scholarships are available for entering law students?
How do entering law students apply for scholarships?
All admitted applicants are automatically considered for scholarship assistance based upon merit.* Scholarships are typically awarded early in the application process. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application materials before the Dec. 31 priority deadline.
*Admitted applicants are not automatically considered for the Jere F. White, Jr. Fellowship. Eligible admitted applicants will be notified and invited to apply for the fellowship.
What kinds of scholarships are available for current law students?
- Merit scholarships - awarded based on academic performance
- Need-based scholarships - awarded based on financial need
- Leadership scholarships - awarded to students holding specific leadership positions at the law school
How do I apply for financial aid?
Cumberland by the Numbers+
What is the enrollment at Cumberland School of Law?
What is the entering class size?
How large are first-year classes?
Are faculty members accessible to students?
What is the average course load?
Is summer school offered?
What is Flex-Time?
Jobs and Joint Degrees+
What kinds of joint-degree programs does Cumberland School of Law offer?
Keeping legal education relevant requires offering more than one traditional law degree. To broaden perspectives or to help prepare for careers in special fields, Cumberland School of Law students have the option to pursue eight different joint degrees. Five programs are offered in conjunction with other schools at Samford University. Two are offered in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham, an internationally recognized academic and research medical center, and one is offered with Albany Medical College.
- J.D./Master of Accountancy (Samford’s Brock School of Business)
- J.D./Master of Business Administration (Samford’s Brock School of Business)
- J.D./Master of Divinity (Samford’s Beeson School of Divinity)
- J.D./Master of Arts in Theological Studies (Samford’s Beeson School of Divinity)
- J.D./Master of Science in Environmental Management (Samford’s Howard College of Arts & Sciences)
- J.D./Master of Public Administration (School of Social and Behavioral Sciences)
- J.D./Master of Public Health (School of Public Health)
- J.D./Master of Science in Bioethics (Albany Medical College)
What is your most recent Alabama Bar passage rate?
This can be found on the ABA Required Disclosures page.
What is your employment rate?
About Samford University+
How large is the Samford University campus?
Where is Cumberland School of Law on Samford’s campus?
Is housing available on campus for law students?
Only undergraduate students live on campus. However, since the campus is situated in Homewood, a thriving suburb of Birmingham near I-65, U.S. 280 and other major roads, a large number of apartments are easily accessible within five miles of the campus.
For more information about apartments, contact Apartment Consultants, Inc., a free apartment locator service, at 866-923-0888, or visit its website at RentAlabama411.com.