Samford University offers a comprehensive suite of benefits to promote health and financial security for you and your family. The Benefits Guide provides you with a summary of your benefits. Please review it carefully so you can choose the coverage that’s right for you.
Generally, you are considered a full time, benefit eligible employee if you are in an eligible class and work at least 30 hours per week. Most of your benefits are effective on the first day of the month following your date of hire. You may enroll your eligible dependents for coverage once you are eligible. Your eligible dependents include:
- Your legal spouse
- Your children up to age 26
- A child over age 26 who was incapacitated before age 26
Flexible Spending Accounts
Flexible Spending Accounts for Healthcare and Dependent Care are available to full time benefits eligible employees. With an FSA, the money you contribute is never taxed—not when you put it in the account, not when you are reimbursed with the funds from the account, and not when you file your income tax return at the end of the year.
Samford provides a paid leave plan for eligible employees including, FMLA, sick days, vacation days, bereavement days and paid holidays.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Friday of Spring Break
- Easter Monday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Additional Holidays for 2018: December 24, 26, 27, 28, and 31
Samford University provides generous health, dental and vision insurance benefits for our full-time employees as well as optional life, accidental death and dismemberment and long term disability coverage.
Medical & Dental
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama is our medical and dental provider. The plan is a PPO plan which allows participants to seek medical services from any doctor who participates in the BlueCard Preferred Provider Organization. Full time employees are eligible to participate in the plan upon hire. Benefits will be effective the first day of the month after hire.
We offer three tiers of coverage: individual, two-person, and family.
The VSP Vision Care Plan is an optional vision plan available to all full time employees of Samford. You do not have to be a participant in the Samford BCBS plan to participate in the VSP Vision Care Plan. If you are enrolled in the Samford BCBS plan, the VSP benefits would be in addition to the vision benefits provided in the BCBS plan. Once enrolled, simply tell your eyecare provider that you have VSP. No ID card is necessary and no ID card will be issued.
COBRA is the Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1985 (Public Law 99-272, Title X). If you are a covered employee, COBRA allows you to temporarily continue coverage under the plan beyond the point at which coverage would otherwise end. COBRA coverage may be offered to each person who is a qualified beneficiary. By law, COBRA benefits are required to be the same as those made available to similarly situated active employees. If the plan changes for active employees, coverage will also change for those covered under COBRA. COBRA premium will be paid by the participant as a rate equal to the full cost of the coverage plus a two-percent administrative fee. Your cost may change over time, as the cost of benefits under the plan changes.
Samford also provides life insurance, long term disability insurance, and AD&D insurance to full time benefits eligible employees. Optional life and AD&D insurance are available for purchase at group rates for full time employees and their family.
Samford University’s 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan offers a convenient way to save for your future through payroll deductions. You may choose between investing with Fidelity or TIAA on either a traditional pre-tax or ROTH after-tax basis.
Samford University provides an Employee Tuition Benefit (ETB) to eligible employees, retirees, their spouses, and dependent children, when they meet the University’s admission requirements.
Sam.Well Wellness Program
Samford University’s Wellness Program eligibility requirements need to be completed by Sept. 30, 2018. Effective January 1, 2019, eligible employees that completed all wellness program requirements will receive a $240 annual ($20 per month/$10 biweekly) wellness discount on your Samford health insurance. See below for how to participate and earn the required 400 points.
Step 1: By August 31, 2018 - 100 points
Complete your wellness assessment.
Step 2: By August 31, 2018 - 100 points
Complete a biometric screening.
Step 3: By September 30, 2018 - 100 points
Complete a health and wellness education/coaching session. Complete one of the following:
- Online Wellness Workshop
- Nutritional Guidance Session
- Effective Exercise Session
Step 4: By September 30, 2018 - 100 points
Complete the myBlueCross Workshop.
For questions, contact Leslie Carlisle at email@example.com.
- Free admission to most home athletic events. For more information, view the Athletics Ticket Policy and Registration Form
- A 10% discount is offered on books and some other items at the University Bookstore with your current ID.
- $2.00 Friday at the Cafeteria with your current ID.
- Reid Chapel is available, for a fee, for weddings and other events. For more information, visit Event Planning.
- Employees are recognized at our Annual Service Awards Luncheon for each five years of full-time service.
- You are welcome to use the University Libraries, but will first need to have your ID coded by the library. Employees are responsible for the payment of fines when returning overdue books and materials.
- Weight room, swimming pool, racquetball court, and indoor track facilities are available to faculty and staff when classes are not in session. For more information, visit Campus Recreation.
- Employees are eligible for one free ticket to most Theater Productions. For more information, visit the Theater Box Office.
Retirement (403b) Forms
- 403(b) Salary Reduction Agreement
- Fidelity Beneficiary Designation Form
- Fidelity Online Enrollment Flyer
- Plan Disclosure Notice
- TIAA Online Enrollment Flyer
- 403b Summary Plan Description—Fidelity—(Contact HR)
- 403b Summary Plan Description TIAA-CREF—(Contact HR)
Employee Tuition Benefit (ETB) Forms
Health, Dental and Vision Forms
- BC/BS Enrollment Form
- VSP Enrollment Form
- BC/BS Medical Expense Claim Form
- BC/BS Dental Claim Form
- BC/BS Vision Claim Form
- BC/BS Prescription Claim Form
- BC/BS Online Drug Claim Instructions
Life Insurance Forms
- Life Insurance Beneficiary Form
- Life Insurance Enrollment Form
- Continuation of Coverage Form
- Evidence of Insurability Form
Health Equity Forms
- Health Equity Direct Deposit Form
- Health Equity Medical Reimbursement Form
- Health Equity Dependent Care Reimbursement Form
Long Term Disability Forms
- Long Term Disability Claim Form—Contact HR
Family Medical Leave (FMLA) Forms
- Family Medical Leave Application Forms—Contact HR