The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility and service to others.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.
The Samford community values lifelong:
- Belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord
- Engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus
- Learning and responsible freedom of inquiry
- Personal empowerment, accountability and responsibility
- Vocational success and civic engagement
- Spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being
- Integrity, honesty and justice
- Appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions
- Stewardship of all resources
- Service to God, to family, to one another and to the community