The mission of the Department of Interior Design is to foster student learning that incorporates an holistic approach integrating design with architecture, stresses the three-dimensional use of space, considers the users’ awareness and experience of space, and instills a passion for good design that can shape and influence society.
The program provides a foundation that enables design students to:
- Follow safe, practical standards of construction and ergonomics.
- Plan projects and effectively communicate those plans, visually, orally,
and in writing.
- Arrange space, color, light, texture, and other elements in harmony
with existing architecture and the users’ requirements.
- Apply strong general education to responsible professional practice.
- Work interdependently with other designers and related professionals
to produce a team product.
- Understand the clients’ needs, both stated and discerned, and create environments that function accordingly.