August 12, 2013
From Lt. Col. Travis Dixon, Commander of our local Air Force ROTC detachment:
“Kaley Cusumano, a Samford AFROTC cadet and Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing student, was awarded Distinguished Graduate Honors and the Physical Fitness award at Air Force ROTC Field Training (27 Jun 13 - 23 July 2013). Cadet Cusumano was ranked first out of her flight of 24 cadets, in the top five percent of over 300 competitively selected cadets from around the nation, scored a perfect 100 on her Physical Fitness test, and garnered the highest possible ratings on her leadership evaluations. Throughout her Field Training experience, Cadet Cusumano demonstrated unparalleled adaptive and servant leadership skills as she enthusiastically tackled every mental, psychological and physical challenge the Air Force threw at her. Her professionalism and unparalleled performance resulted in the Air Force recommending her as a trainer and evaluator for future field training camps. It took a great amount of effort and commitment for her to achieve these prestigious honors and her performance reflects great credit upon herself and Samford University.”
The world is better because Samford people are adept at meeting challenges.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.