General Catalog Revision Notes
Overview | General Calendar Notes | Course & Program Changes | Course Description Revisions
Overview of the Catalog Revision Process:
The revision process for the Samford University academic catalog typically takes place every spring. Below is an overview:
- An initial round requesting catalog edits. A reminder e-mail may be sent at some point afterwards.
Please do not expect or wait for a second round requesting catalog edits. Please respond to the initial round by the deadline provided.
- Time permitting, PDF drafts will be sent to catalog editors to review changes. If time is NOT permitting, or perhaps as a supplement, a "Working Draft" of the online catalog will be made available for editors to review their sections and to catch new/late changes.
ALL rounds of edits will be initiated via e-mail, with instructions on how to access and print your catalog section. If you have need for or prefer to work with your catalog copy in Word (text) or Excel (tables), let us know (contact Jane Leask).
General Calendar Notes
- The catalog revision process generally runs from Jan/Feb through early May.
- The catalog is no longer printed, but the online and PDF versions should be available by the end of May or early June.
- Items on the agenda in the May UCC meeting might not make the final draft of the catalog since the last Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for April 28.
- Items on the agenda in the April UCC Meeting should make the final draft. Please keep this in mind when submitting course/program proposals for approval.
- Please try to submit such proposals for new or revised courses/programs at the earliest possible UCC meeting.
- Please note that new programs also require BOT approval. Typically, the BOT meets only three times in a calendar year: late April/early May, September, and December. Additional meetings may be called, but are not guaranteed. Please keep this in mind when planning proposals for new programs.
UCC=University Curriculum Committee | BOT=Board of Trustees
For more info, see the detailed Catalog Revision Calendar.
Special Note on Course/Program Changes:
Please note that because of the various processes involved, some curriculum changes (new program, etc.) intended for implementation in a given academic year should be submitted and approved by the UCC (and in some cases the BOT) by October of the prior academic year. For example, a change that's intended to be implemented in 2015-16 should ideally be approved by October 2014. That allows sufficient time for the various departments (Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Records) to code for and setup the processes (in Banner, such as that for Class Schedule Creation & Registration, etc.). While some changes can/may be fast-tracked for approval, it's best to plan for such changes as far in advance as possible. Instant program changes are difficult to code in Banner and should be implemented at the beginning of an academic year. For more info, see the Catalog Revision Calendar.