October 20, 2014
On Friday evening of this week Albertville High School will
induct its 2014 class of honorees. Martha Hagood, a native of
Albertville, will be among those memorialized during the
Dr. Hagood was a graduate of Howard College (now Samford),
Class of 1944. After completing medical school at the University of
Alabama, she was appointed as a missionary to Japan by the Southern Baptist
Convention. She served at the Japan Baptist Hospital in Kyoto from 1953
until 1966. From 1967 until 1995, Dr. Hagood cared for her patients in
Eku, Nigeria, even during the Biafran War of 1967. The Nigerian
Obstetrics and Gynecology Society erected a bronze statue of a mother and child
in Dr. Hagood’s honor after her retirement. She died on September 9,
2013, having offered the grace of Christ to thousands of people.
The world is better because of Dr. Martha Hagood.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.