April 8, 2013
With more than 12,000 work orders completed each year, the employees in Samford’s Facilities Management unit are constantly in motion. Until this semester, work orders were processed in about the same fashion as 50 years ago, with instructions on paper and with frequent trips by our employees back and forth to the shop. A new system, “Maintenance Direct,” enables these staff members to receive information via tablets or smartphones, resulting in less use of gasoline, diminished loss of time, far less use of paper, and improved communication between the person making the request and the person trying to resolve the problem. I appreciate these dedicated employees for their service—and for learning how to utilize this new system.
The world is better because our staff members in Facilities Management help us to practice good stewardship.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.