May 13, 2013
Last Thursday night I was the speaker for the commencement ceremony at Snead State Community College in Boaz, Alabama, where degrees were conferred upon more than 200 students. (Yes, I stayed well within my time limit for the speech.) Far more significant than my remarks were the introductory comments of Snead’s chief academic officer, Dr. Jason Watts, who congratulated the students by relating the path of his own family. The story began with the impoverished background of his grandfather in northern Alabama, how he somehow managed to enroll at Snead—and after two years found his way to Howard College. Through a lifetime as a teacher, a preacher,and a loving parent, this grandfather brought renewed hope to his family.
The world is better because Samford is still providing a path of hope.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.