July 5, 2010
Brian and Renee Pitts from our University Ministries staff have been in Malaysia this summer, assisting the members of a Samford team as they work with international college students in Kuala Lumpur. As they talked with an architecture student a few days ago, they discussed the importance of symbolism in the design of buildings that are used for worship. Brian writes, "We pulled up the divinity school website and for the next hour and a half I laid out the story of redemption, from Genesis to Acts, using the paintings, seals, carvings and design of the chapel as points of illustration. These stories were all new to him, but he easily understood them because of the way they were implemented in the chapel."
The world is better because "the stones will cry out" Samford's engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus. (Luke 19:40)
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.