June 6, 2011
Doug Wilson, our executive director of advancement, became a regular citizen last week, retiring after 27 years in the Air Force reserve and reaching the rank of Lt. Colonel. In the ten years since 9/11/2001, Doug served in twelve different active duty assignments, one an extended local assignment and the other eleven in varying locations throughout the world. His last deployment of four weeks in the South Pacific ended just a few days ago. Doug became involved with the Air Force after being a part of the Air Force ROTC post at Samford while he was an undergraduate student in the early 1980s, a program that was initiated by his father, a long-time member of our faculty. During his career, Doug worked with some of our most sensitive national defense intelligence, protecting us day by day.
The world is better (and, in part, we are safe today) because of Doug Wilson.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.