Getting Off to a Good Start With Your Roommate
Recommendations of subjects to discuss with your roommate prior to moving in:
- What items can be shared?
- What items cannot be shared?
- Will groceries and other expenses be shared? How?
- When will the room be locked?
- How will we know when to lock the door without locking one of us out?
Cleaning the Room
- How neat and clean do you like things to be?
- Who will vacuum/sweep, dust, clean the bathroom, take out trash?
- How often will tasks be done?
- Can you study with noise, such as the TV or stereo?
- Can you study with visitors in the room?
- Do you usually study late into the night? How will this work when one person is in bed?
- Do you like to study with others while in the room? How can this be compromised?
- When do you usually go to bed?
- What time do you wake up?
- What are you like in the mornings?
- Can you sleep with the light on or with noise such as the TV or stereo?
- What happens when somebody is sleeping through the alarm clock? How
many times will you hit the snooze button before it annoys your
Phone Usage & Messages
- What is too late for the phone to ring or to make a call?
- Will you answer each others' phones?
- If so, how will messages be taken and delivered?
- How will you handle verbal "stop by's" and door board messages?
- How do you want to be confronted when there is a problem?
- If there is a problem, how will we deal with it?
- How will you deal with the fear of offending each other?