Samford REU Application Process
All application materials should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the applicant’s last name in the subject line of all email correspondence.
As application materials are received, they will be posted to the "Materials Received" portion of this website.
Who Can Apply?
The program is open to U.S. citizens who are currently sophomores or juniors.
What to Submit
I. Application Form
You should use this online application form. Once you have submitted the application form, you will receive an email confirming your submission. Please make a copy of the form before you hit submit. If you do not receive an email confirmation or you are having other problems with the submission of your application, you can send the copy of the application directly to email@example.com.
An unofficial or official copy of your most recent college transcript and a list of current courses should be included with your application. These should be submitted in electronic form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to submit electronically please mail your official transcripts to:
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham AL 35216
III. Letters of Recommendation
Request two letters of recommendation from instructors who can best evaluate you. Letters should be e-mailed from instructors directly to email@example.com.
IV. Personal Statement
Write a two-page (double-spaced) statement that provides a portrait of who you are as a student. This personal statement should be sent as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. This should include detailed and specific descriptions of:
- your research interests and goals
- your career objectives and how participation in this REU program will help you achieve those objectives
- your motivation to conduct research• why you are particularly qualified to take part in this REU program
- any experiences that you feel are relevant to your potential participation in this program, including previous research experience.
- Please make sure to include your first and last name on the attachment.
- The title of your attachment should be your name (last_first) and personal statement, i.e., Doe_John personal statement.
Due to inclement weather, the application deadline has been extended to March 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM CST.