Friday May 17 Graduates
May 15-17, 2012
Appropriate Dress for Graduates:
- Ladies are asked to wear an appropriate 'Sunday' dress with comfortable dress shoes.
- Men are asked to wear dark dress shirt and tie. Please wear black, brown, or navy blue shoes that match your pants.
- Pick up your cap and gown from the Bookstore in the University Center.
- Only appropriately approved Honor Cords and Honor Medallions will be allowed at Commencement, including officially recognized cords and medallions of local chapters of national honor societies.
Friday, May 17, 2012,
Arrive one (1) hour before your commencement begins:
Pharmacy -arrive at 9:00 a.m. - begins at 10:00 a.m.
Business -arrive at 12:00 noon - begins at 1:00 p.m.
Nursing -arrive at 2:30 p.m. - begins at 3:30 p.m.
Law -arrive at 5:00 p.m. - begins at 6:00 p.m.
Graduates arrive at the Brock Recital Hall.
- RECEIVE YOUR AUTHORIZATION CARD in the Brock Recital Hall. After receiving your authorization card, you will be instructed on where to line up. The number on the red circle indicates your position in line.
- Do not write on the side of the card that has your name on it. The reverse side of the authorization card is to be completed for ZAP Foto so that complimentary proofs of your graduation pictures can be e-mailed to you. Please contact ZAP Foto at (205) 345-2686 if you have questions. Brennan Productions & Custom Video Labs will make a video and DVD of Commencement. If you want to purchase a copy of either, contact the company at (205) 823-0088. For those schools having photographs of separate hooding or group events, please contact Caroline Summers at email@example.com to purchase the pictures. Family and friends will not be permitted to photograph or video tape during the ceremony.
- Please do not bring cameras, purses, etc. to Commencement as you will not be able to keep them with you. No one will be available to watch your personal items during Commencement. Silence watches, pagers, phones, etc. before leaving the recital hall.
Family and Friends: Parking for the event will be in designated areas. Handicapped parking will be available in the west parking lot adjacent to the Wright Center. Public Safety will assist in directing traffic to/from these areas. The Wright Center doors will open for family and friends one hour before your commencement begins.
- You will be led into the Wright Center by Faculty Marshals. Please note that AUTHORIZATION CARDS will be checked several times. Please show the front side of your authorization card to the Faculty Marshal as you are being seated. Fill in all seats and remain standing for the invocation.
- Mortarboards/TAMS are to be worn during the processional with the tassel on the left side due to the taping and photographing of the ceremony. Leave the tassel on the left side at all times, even after receiving your degree. Gentlemen, remove your mortarboard/tam for the invocation and leave it off until the conferring of degrees. Everyone will wear the mortarbard/tam during the processional, receipt of your degree from President Westmoreland and recessional.
- At the time for CONFERRING OF DEGREES you will hear: "Will the candidates for all degrees (Juris Doctor Degree) please rise." You will then be presented to the President who will confer the degree upon you.
- When the President instructs, a Faculty Marshal will lead the first two rows backstage to the platform. All other rows will remain seated. At the platform, give your AUTHORIZATION CARD to the Dean. Do not go back to your seat if you have forgotten your card. Please let one of the Staff Marshals know. They will be assisting the graduates in the line-up area. Pause next to the podium by the Dean and wait until your name is called in its entirety before moving forward to receive your diploma from the President. You will receive hoods at stage left and then be directed back to your seat. A Faculty Marshal will motion for the next two rows to stand continuing the process until all degrees are awarded. The recessional will be on the opposite aisle of the processional and be led by a Faculty Marshal to the exit. Please remain outside the Wright Center until all graduates and faculty have recessed.
Family and Friends
- We respectfully request that flash photos, and videotaping of the ceremony not be performed (see above).
- We also respectfully request their cooperation in making this a memorable day for all graduates and their families by silencing all watches, pagers, phones etc. during the ceremony, and to hold their applause and other congratulatory noises until all graduates have received their diplomas. We sincerely want each graduate to be recognized with decorum, dignity, and respect. We ask instead for your family and friends to honor you to stand when your name is called and you cross the stage.
- Please return your cap and gown to the Bookstore in the University Center. You may keep the tassel. Then celebrate!